• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need Some Help With a Cyser

Barrel Char Wood Products

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I'm planning on making my first Cyser later this afternoon. Here is the simple recipe I'm planning on using:

5 Gallons Preservative-Free Apple Juice (NO SORBATE!)
12 Pounds of Clover Honey
6 3" Cinammon Sticks
6 Whole Cloves
Either K1V-1116 or D47
1 Teaspoon of Dried Orange Rind

Do any of the experienced Mazers on this site see anything about this recipe that would NOT work? As far as yeast goes, which one of these 2 do you recommend as I do not want an extremely dry finished product. Also, do I need to add any yeast nutrient or energizer with cysers? Should I just put the cloves and cinammon sticks in loosly or in some type of bag? Anything else?

Thanks in advance

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
GL,

I'd go with the D-47, as the K1V-1116 will ferment this to dryness and still be looking for more sugar. Also, I'd add some sort of nutrient (either a packaged product like Fermaid K, or a handful of pureed raisins or cherries, depending upon your recipe intent or philosophy), as it will help promote a strong fermentation, and reduce the incidence of off-flavors associated with stressed yeasties. Also, don't forget to aerate properly -- very, very important! Otherwise, this looks good to me, and should produce a tasty cyser, of some moderate residual sweetness.

Please keep us posted!

-David

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Thanks David ....

I'll use the D47. One of the ingredients I've omitted in my original post is 1 Teaspoon of dried orange rind.

Hopefully this stuff will be ready come the Christmas 2006 Holiday Season ! :)

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hope I'm not too late!!!!
I would use orange zest intead of the orange peel/rind, it would omit the presence of orange pith that imparts a bitter taste. Raisins will impart a grape note. I used dry cherries and dry blueberries as nutrients and also for color. It worked for me!

Cheers,
Brewbear

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Hey Grant,
I am new to this hobby, so please take this with a grain of salt, etc…

I am in the middle of an experiment (started 4/8/06) with D47, 1116 and 1118 and I find that the 1116 has left a lot of fruit flavors where as both D47 and 1118 have stripped the apple flavors right out of the cider. Granted last time I sampled was last week or so (note to self, best check on them) so the flavors might have changed again.

So from my limited experience I would use the 1116 again for cysers to retain the flavors and get the alcohol I want as well.

Also I would recommend using unfiltered pasteurized fresh apple juice. I think the yeaties like the extra nutrients.

Good luck!!

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Thanks to everybody for the tips .... Brewbear, you were a little too late as I already have my cyser complete *with* the rind. Guess I'll have to hope for the best. I was not able to find any freshly squeezed apple juice around here (at least not this time of year) so I used Kroger brand apple juice with NO SORBATES.

I'll keep the group posted with my progress .....

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'd suggest that you consider fishing the rind out if possible. That pith can really take your mead down a few notches.

Cheers,

Oskaar

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Thanks Oskaar. Man, I don't know how I can do that at this point, short of filtering the entire batch of mead. This stuff is very finely grated. Guess I'll have to see what happens.

I realize that Joe's AO is a very specific recipe, and although I haven't had any yet, I have a 5 gallon batch clearing up very nicely. My logic in actually putting the rind in this cyser(and yes, I did have second thoughts), was the fact that there is a 'ton' more rind in AO than there is in this stuff and just about everyone raves at how good AO is.

In any event, my batch started fermenting nicely and is currently chugging along at approximately 30 bubbles per minute.

Thanks again.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns