PDA

View Full Version : Storage at Higher Temperatures

tonycscott
05-03-2006, 11:35 AM
You can tell me the bad news - I am expecting it.

I have (2) 5 gallon carboys of Orange Mead made with juice and rind from my tree in Florida. I think I had 7.5 pounds in one batch and 10 pounds in another. They were racked once and more rind was added last year. Both are 13 months old today.

I moved and rented my house to a friend who is very thrifty. He lets the house get toasty during the day and it is possible that this year old mead could have been aging at close to 85 degrees for at least a couple of months.

Am I screwed?

WRATHWILDE
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Tony,

Personally I'd be more worried about the added rind contributing off flavors than the storage temp personally. Only one way to find out though... give it a taste. Chances are the added rind has imparted more bitterness that may take a long while to mellow. If it turns out to be two bitter you might want to blend them with a new batch.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

tonycscott
05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
So, it should be OK? I am not worried about the rind.

lostnbronx
05-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Supposedly, temperature fluctuations are more dangerous than a constant high temp. If your friend keeps it close to 85 degrees during the day, then it may not get too cool at night either.

To my mind, there's reason for concern here, but no reason for despair. Crack something open and check it out, then post your observations!

-David

Oskaar
05-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Any idea what yeast was used? Mead will definately develop off-flavors when bulk aged at temps over 78F for extended periods of time, and if there was still yeast in suspension when they were capped for aging then it's important to know what kind of yeast it was. If you know off the top of your head that would help, otherwise as Wrathwilde mentioned give it a taste and let us know what you think.

cheers,

Oskaar

n5odj
05-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Oskaar, you talk about type of yeast in this topic. In your experience, does type of yeast used have an effect on how well a mead can handle "less than ideal" temperatures in storage? If so, please do name names. Which are better & which are worse for this?

Robert

WRATHWILDE
05-06-2006, 11:55 PM
This is nothing more than an uneducated guess... I would imagine the Yeasts that are good for lees aging would be better than those that are meant to be racked off quickly. Only the shadow knows for sure... that'd be Oskaar.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
05-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Hey N5,

No, actually I was speaking to the listed optimal temperature range for whatever yeast you were using. It's been my experience that letting the mead age with a lot of yeast in suspension at high temperature will definately impart some funky flavors to your mead. Keep the temperature down, and make sure that if you're doing lees aging the yeast you're using is recommended for that purpose. Aging above 75F is something I don't do at all when aging my mead. No reason risking a batch. I had 12 gallons of Zin and Rose turn on me from heat last year during our So Cal heat waves. Now it's vinegar.

Cheers,

Oskaar