1 gallon batch
2lbs frozen blueberries
approximately 3 1/2lbs (maybe a bit more)clover honey
1 cinnamon stick
splash of vanilla extract
about 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1 tbsp bread yeast

I basically followed the AO recipe.

It bubbled wildly for about 3 weeks or so and not without an initail blow-up all over the cabinet. I waited til the bubbling stopped and gave it a couple of days before I racked it the other day.

I gave it a taste and it is real blueberry sweet with a lot of body to it. To me, it is too sweet, but my parents (in house guinea pigs) say it is good and not to futz with it. I topped off the carboy (about a pint of filtered water) and we are still too sweet for my taste.

I was wondering if it would be wise to restart fermentation with a dry yeast and let it ride to get out some of the sweetness and up the alcohol level. I couldn't tell you the alcohol level since I didn't check it with a hydrometer.

Maybe I should just leave it alone, bottle it and try another batch with a drier yeast. That might be my best bet. See how indecisive I am?

Oskaar
05-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Hey Pearl,

When I end up with a mead that is a bit sweeter or drier than what I was shooting for I'll generally make up another batch of the same stuff with more or less honey, and end up blending them. That's my preference.

I think at this point it's a good idea for you to take a gravity reading and post it so we can get an idea of where you are based on this recipe. I'll guess that it should be somewhere between 1.060-1.090 or higher. Let us know. There are other options too, but we need to know what the current gravity is.

Cheers,

Oskaar

memento
05-05-2006, 10:02 AM
This all depends on how we perceived sweet. My mother loves 1.070, so I saved her some of my cyser at that point, but that is way too sweet for me - and I don't even care for dry wines. Someone who likes dry wines could easily find 1.015 too sweet.

You may also want to let it age a bit. The taste will definitely change, slthough it probably won't get any less sweet.

palecricket1
05-05-2006, 10:31 PM
It seems like the problem is that you started with a potential alcohol level of a whopping 18%. Bread yeast usually doesn't go past 12-14%, unless you step feed it (which I don't reccomend). The calculator says your OG should be around 1.133. If you want a drier mead next time, shoot for around 2.5-3 pounds of honey instead of 3.5. That'll bring you're PA between 12-15%, which is much more feasible for bread yeast and should leave you a little residual sugar. Or you could keep the same amount of honey and use a stronger yeast like KI V1116 or EC 1118, which can handle 18% ABV.

pearlheartgtr
05-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks guys!

I have to grab a new hydrometer from work (I work in a pet store)and check my SG.

Next time I'll go with about 2lbs of honey since I didn't realize how much the blueberries would sweeten it. This batch amd my forthcoming raspberry batch were tests to see what I can do with bread yeast.

As it sits, it is sweet with strong blueberry aroma and taste and as I mentioned before, very sweet. It might be me because I am not into sweet alcohol drinks but my personal guinea pigs (mom and dad) find it very pleasing. I am bottling it this week and next month I am taking it to the grand inquisitor of wines and all things alcohol, my aunt, to see what she thinks of it.

I see this one as being an after dinner cordial myself.

But I'll get a new hydrometer (since the ones I do have were used for my marine tanks at home) and give it a whirl.