PDA

View Full Version : Did I ruin my mead?

Tooz
05-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I inadvertently did a gram to teaspoon conversion backwards and ended up putting roughly 10X the amount of DAP and fermaidK I was supposed to on second feeding. Did I ruin my Mead? Please advise.

Oskaar
05-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Would you post up your recipe please so we can take a look?

Cheers,

Oskaar

Tooz
05-12-2006, 08:38 PM
A little background. I am new to mead so after going to school on y'all and lurking for a bit, I started with Joe's Ancient Orange. It came out great so I started a second batch. The only thing is, I thought I'd like this batch of JAO to be a little drier, but I didn't want to ruin it so I took a 3lb. jar of starthistle honey I had purchased from More Beer and made a separate one gallon batch using only the honey and some D-47 yeast I had, with the intention of possibly blending the two. This one gallon batch is where I made the feeding mistake.

Oskaar
05-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Ok Tooz,

Can you let me know what exactly 10X the amount of DAP and Fermaid K amounts to please? Right now I'm still guessing amounts so I need to know how many teaspoons or grams of each you put into the mix. That will help me figure out what you can do from here.

I'm leaning toward making a 6 gallon batch out of this and pitching with a high nutrient needs yeast like EC-1118. You're best bet at this point is blending this into one or two batches so the nutrient flavor in your must will be dissipated, as well as being consumed by some hungry yeasts.

EXACT recipe please.

Thanks,

Oskaar

Tooz
05-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks, yes I can. I added 2 teaspoons of Fermaid K and 4 teaspoons of what turns out to be yeast nutrient. As far as I can figure that's 9.2 grams of Fermaid K and 13.2 grams of yeast nutrient.

Tooz
05-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Oskaar, I racked the overfed batch(3lbs of starthisle honey) into a 6 gallon carboy filled with 16.5lbs of honey(all I could find)and water. I didn't add anymore yeast and it's bubbling already, less then an hour later. Also, I was able to leave behind alot of what looked like the Fermaid K and yeast nutrient. Do you think the 18.5 lbs of honey is enough for the 6 gallons. Thanks much for your help.

Oskaar
05-13-2006, 09:05 PM
It sounds to me like you're on the right track.

Can you get me a gravity reading please?

Take good care,

Oskaar