• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question About Fermaid in a Pyment

Barrel Char Wood Products

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I'm going to be making a Pyment today. I'm using freshly squeezed Chilien white grape juice - probably a riesling - and Lalvin R-2 yeast for a 5 gallon batch.

How much Fermaid do I use for 5 gallons? I've only used generic nutrients up to this point, but am taking the recommendations I received from an earlier post about a Pyment and am going to use Fermaid this time.

Thanks in advance.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You'll want to go with a total of 20 grams of Fermaid K divided up into 3 additions total. You use 1 gram of Fermaid K per one gallon of must.

10 grams in the must
5 grams at the end of the lag phase (when your must starts to foam)
5 grams at the 1/3 sugar break (when gravity drops by 33%)

You may also add another 5 grams at the 2/3 sugar break if you desire.

Mix the Fermaid K into 100 ml of clean bottled water and stir in.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns