• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Giving Up The Ghost

Barrel Char Wood Products

geminigrey

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 16, 2007
So at what point do you give in and toss a batch that's gone bad?

My current (and first) cyser has been stuck with the dreaded sulfur smell. It's all but done fermenting now, but I think a combination of errors on my part have made it unsalvageable. *Using too many campden tablets (5 in a 3 gallon batch, I know, I know...) and raking off the lees too early, with probably some other factors like using too much yeast and putting all my nutrients in up front * :BangHead:

I've tried a few things to get rid of the smell/taste, and while they've lessened the effect, it's still pretty nasty. At this point, I think it's time to pour out the batch and say last rites. Any advice before it leaves this world for the next?

Scadsobees

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 3, 2006
I had a cyser that was similar. I bottled anyway (named it "Nasty Apple"), put it away, and 2 years later it actually is quite good!

I don't know how bad yours is, but you might consider giving it a year and see how it changes.

Rick

geminigrey

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 16, 2007
Scadsobees said:
I had a cyser that was similar. I bottled anyway (named it "Nasty Apple"), put it away, and 2 years later it actually is quite good!

I don't know how bad yours is, but you might consider giving it a year and see how it changes.

Rick

Heh...that was my thought... I really don't have to get rid of it, unless I just get hard up to use the carboy, I s'pose. I'm just not sure if age will redeem it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

liff

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
Phoenix
I would answer when you know it is not going to get any better.

I made a cyser once, left the spices in for too long, and there was no way anyone could gag this stuff down. 5 gallons down the drain. No regrets. That will not age out.

My first mead was straight nasty when I bottled it. Now, good when chilled and getting better. Future, who knows?

So the real question is do you need the space, or the bottles, or the carboy? If you can age it you may as well, you never know.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns