• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Stop fermentation when mixing batches?

Barrel Char Wood Products

aczdreign

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2010
I'll be mixing a gallon of traditional into a 3-gallon muscadine pyment pretty soon here, and I'm wondering how I would go about making sure that the fermentation is stopped after I backsweeten and before I bottle.

I'm assuming that I would mix the two together into my bottling bucket, backsweeten with honey to taste, and then add campden tablets/potassium metabisulphide. My question is, how long should I leave it in the bottling bucket to let the sulphates do their thing? I don't want to leave it long enough to oxidize, as it will have a lot of surface area exposed in the bottling bucket...

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I would suggest getting the stabilizing chemicals in there before sweetening. Give them at least a day to work if you can.

Are you planning on bottling right after mixing this all together?

aczdreign

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2010
Bottling right after backsweetening was my plan, but I really don't know how to go about doing this.

So you're saying I should mix them both into the bucket (since I don't have a carboy of the appropriate size), add the stabilizing chemicals, and then add honey to backsweeten before I bottle?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That's how I'd do it, although if I could, I'd give it a week or two to make sure the SG doesn't drop. Although I understand if you don't have the right sized container, why you'd want to bottle it ASAP, to prevent unnecessary exposure to oxygen... although I suppose you could separate them back out into the 3-gal and 1-gal carboys they're currently in during that time.

Last edited:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Yeah ideally you give it time under an airlock to make sure it's not going to continue to ferment between backsweetening and bottling. If the blending is what is giving you volume constraints, you could always stabilize and backsweeten the batches separately, then blend on bottling day. Course sweetening might go differently after blending than before...

caffeine211

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Personally, if I were doing it, I'd follow this schedule:

1. Blend batches in bottling bucket
2. Add stabilizing chemicals and wait 24-48 hours
3. Back sweeten to taste
4. Rack back into carboy(s) (whatever they may be)
5. Wait 2-4 weeks to make sure the gravity hasn't dropped
6. Bottle after waiting period

But that's just me...

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit

3. Back sweeten to taste

But that's just me...

3.5 go back to step three until your sure it is sweet enough, or the room stops spinning ;)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY

3. Back sweeten to taste

But that's just me...

I had that thought too. Perhaps that's the way to do it. Lots of work, but exploding bottles are not exactly fun.

aczdreign

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2010
Fun factor of MEA's aside for a moment, I don't want to lose the 2-year bulk aged muscadine pyment that's forming the base for this thing.
:)

Thank you all for the advice, I think I will go with caffeine's proposed schedule, and try to make step 3.5 as quick as possible so I've actually got something to bottle when I'm done. lol

Thanks a lot, everyone.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns