• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Day at Beer, Beer, and More Beer in Riverside

Barrel Char Wood Products

Scott Horner

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jun 14, 2005
Greetings one and all !

B3 will be hosting a Mead day on Saturday May 13th from 10am till ???. I have the honor of teaching a short class starting about 10:30 and lasting no longer than 1 hour. I will be showing you all how to brew a nearly foolproof mead (Joe's Ancient Orange for all you gotmead.com fans out there). This is a perfect class for anyone who has ever wanted to know how to brew a mead, or just wants to have an exuse to drink the many fine meads I hope folks will bring with them. (I know I will be bringing a few of mine). We will have a Q & A after the class and I hope to have several folks present to answer any questions you might all have.

I hope to see you all there

Scott

P.S. Ok you Mead nuts, who's coming and what ya bringing!

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey Scott,

I plan on being there (more for the drink then the show), and bringing a saffron mead which has been aged sur lie, mead and stout braggot vinegar's and Spicy herbal mustard made with mead, and vinegar's made from traditional mead and braggot.

Anthony

Scott Horner

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jun 14, 2005
::drool:: Now if we can get Oskaar to make an appearance with those meat sausages (forget the name my appologies)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I will drink any mead before it's time!

And, I'll wash those cevapcici (sausages) down with it as well. I'll be there with several pounds of the little cholesterol bombs flush with garlic! At least no vampires will be able to get close to you.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
There is a slight problem I'm having :'( I have to work that day :(
I'll be there around 3 pm, just in time to see everyone leave. Oskaar, i know there's no way to have some of the cevapcici left over, but save the mustard!!!! I'll have some good stuff for you, hope Anthony will stay around to share some!

Cheers
Brewbear

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oskaar said:
And, I'll wash those cevapcici (sausages) down with it as well. I'll be there with several pounds of the little cholesterol bombs flush with garlic! At least no vampires will be able to get close to you.

Cholesterol bombs? Nu, perhaps not. Garlic has been shown to inhibit blood cholesterol levels, not strongly perhaps but yes, it has an effect.

For those who wish to bomb their cholesterol, there is a recipe for cevapcici in Jeff Smith's book, The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors. It is on page 508 of the book. I see that the recipe calls for ground lamb, veal and pork, so perhaps that is not so unhealthy. Oskaar will have to tell us if this is an authentic combination.

Garlic and vampires? Och un vail! Garlic does not help with the Pijawika. One may consume cevapcici, cevapcici until you plotz, but nothing happens. The legend says to cut the head off the Pijawika and put it between the knees.

More specific to Oskaar is the Kuzlak. Here, one must call for a Franciscan monk. Why? A Dalmatian might say Kop oif di plaitses, why should it be otherwise? We don't know.

I think I will read some more posts, then return to my rock garden. It is spring again!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Siggy Siggy Siggy!!

You know the Gotmead mantra! Can you please post the exact recipe! LOL

In Croatia and Bosnia it's usually Beef, pork and lamb, or pork and lamb, or pork and beef, or some other combination. For my part, ground veal just doesn't taste right in this recipe. Also there are regional variations on the ingredients that run the gamut from paprika to coriander and so on. Basically it's whatever you grew up with, or are used to making. It just goes great on some fresh baked bread with olive oil, paprika, and some chopped tomatoe, red onion, red peppers, Italian parsley, lemon and garlic. Again, the condiment composition varies by region as well.

Let's see that recipe.

cheers,

Oskaar

Scott Horner

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jun 14, 2005
Just wanted to bump this back to the top, and remind you all that this is less than a week away ! I hope to see you all there.

Scott

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oskaar said:
Siggy Siggy Siggy!!

You know the Gotmead mantra! Can you please post the exact recipe! LOL

In Croatia and Bosnia it's usually Beef, pork and lamb, or pork and lamb, or pork and beef, or some other combination. For my part, ground veal just doesn't taste right in this recipe. Also there are regional variations on the ingredients that run the gamut from paprika to coriander and so on. Basically it's whatever you grew up with, or are used to making. It just goes great on some fresh baked bread with olive oil, paprika, and some chopped tomatoe, red onion, red peppers, Italian parsley, lemon and garlic. Again, the condiment composition varies by region as well.

Let's see that recipe.

cheers,

Oskaar

Oy, a shkandall! It was the mantra cry I heard, that pulled me from my rock garden, and my meads. I have been a moisheh kapoyer.

Here is the recipe:

1 pound ground lamb 3 Tblsp hot Hungarian Paprika
1 pound ground veal or sweet paprika or sweet
1 pound ground pork paprika and a little cayenne
1 large yellow onion, 2 Tblsp ground black pepper
peeled and grated Salt to taste
3 cloves garlic, Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
peeled and crushed
Olive oil for basting

Mix all the ingredients except the oil, thoroughly and roll the mixture into little "cigars" about 1 inch by 3 inches. Rub lightly with olive oil and grill or broil until done. These are great on the barbqeue.

Serve with Yogurt Sauce:

1 pint yogurt
1/2 cucumber, peeled, grated and drained 1 hour
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and ground white pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper

So! Iz dos iz nit ken toyre misinay? Is it authentic, or close to what is home?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Whoa there hoss!

It would be a good idea to throttle back on the hot paprika to three teaspoons, and the ground black pepper to 2 teaspoons as well. You'll also need some egg white (about two-three eggs worth) and some baking soda. I don't have my cookbook here with me so I'll modify this and add the amount later. There are a couple of other spices and such that we add, but those are guarded family secrets. If I told you I'd have to make you drink bad mead, and nobody wants that! 8)

Cucumber sauce is for the Greeks, we use a mixture of chopped red onions, chopped red bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, garlic, parsely, red pepper flakes and olive oil.

Barbeque them over grapewood (preferred) or orangewood and brush with olive oil while cooking.

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oskaar wrote:

>Whoa there hoss!
>
>It would be a good idea to throttle back on
>the hot paprika to three teaspoons, and the
>ground black pepper to 2 teaspoons as well.
>You'll also need some egg white (about
>two-three eggs worth) and some baking soda.
>I don't have my cookbook here with me so I'll
>modify this and add the amount later. There
>are a couple of other spices and such that we
>add, but those are guarded family secrets.

Thank you for the reply. It seems that the late Mr. Smith did not always try his recipes. :) Tablespoons was the amounts he called for.

He might not have always checked the ethnic origins either. He talks about his cousin-in-law John Sarich, whose parents came from the region of Dalmatia on the Adriatic coast. Yet, you say the sauce is Greek!

Oy vey, they still look good. Will you explain the egg white and baking soda biteh?

Scott Horner

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jun 14, 2005
Good news Oskaar! I just confirmed with B3 that they will supply the barbcue so let the cevapcici be brought and consumed!

From what I have heard it promices to be quite the party. Come for a great excuse to drink mead.

Scott

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
FYI, B3 is located at;

1506 Columbia Avenue Suite 12
Riverside, California 92507
951-779-9971

Dmntd

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns