• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Because the Government has nothing better to worry about

Barrel Char Wood Products

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Silliness abounds. In Canada we can't have Mountain Dew with caffeine, but codeine's an OTC product... If it's .5% or less alcohol (near-beer and dealcolized wine coolers are available anywhere), it's not a controlled substance as far as Ontario's concerned, how much alcohol did that lemonade have?

It was .5%, though the company stated it was closer to .3%.

Hilarious video about it
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-co...010/nailed--em---fentimans-victorian-lemonade

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
The "for the children" excuse is major issue for me. They're putting up speed cameras in Chicago "for the children," even though there is no data to support the need. It has nothing to do with all the tickets they'll be able to write.

IWhat I did NOT agree with was forcing bars to become smoke-free because "it limited the parents ability to bring their children into the establishment."

Huh. Well, we made no such excuses when we banned smoking in bars and restaurants, we did it so waitresses wouldn't die from secondhand smoke. Unfortunately I'd already stopped going to bars because of the smoke so I never got back into it... Heck, we've even banned smoking in your own car if a child is present... (which I don't think is such a bad idea).

The worst "protect the children" thing I've ever seen was a sign in the local community centre: "Save the Children! This is a nut-free area." Yeah, becuase nuts are a danger to one and all and should be banned... We take responsibility for a little bit more over here than you folks do in the 'states and we don't go for frivolous lawsuits so much, but OMG can we not take charge of our own diets? Got news for you, parent of highly nut-allergic kid... the real world CONTAINS NUTS. Kid better learn fast how to avoid them, or maybe you'd better have a few more and hope the next one's got a better chance of survival, instead of making peanut butter sandwiches illegal to bring to school! My brother's kid got sent home from school because the caramel bits on his dessert square "looked like peanuts"...

And around here they never put speed cameras anywhere kids would be, they only put them on the big highways.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
The "for the children" excuse is major issue for me. They're putting up speed cameras in Chicago "for the children," even though there is no data to support the need. It has nothing to do with all the tickets they'll be able to write.

It has nothing to do with generating income...

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Don't you know that in America everything is someone else's fault? The entire insurance industry is built around it and it seems you're not a true American if you haven't sued someone.

I work at a family owned, antique store/indoor flea market. We are not responsible for the shelving that vendors put into their space, it's up to them to stock, clean, and decorate. HOWEVER, our shopping carts are behind a showcase in a very small little channel, at the opening of which is a free-form shelf (metal strips on the wall you put brackets into, then shelves onto the brackets), that had wood shelves on the bottom two brackets, and glass on the top three.

A parent went over to this little channel (just wide enough for our shopping carts), and started to get a cart. The child started to throw a fit about being put in a cart, so the parent grabbed the child, who was kicking and screaming, and was about to shove them into a cart. The parent swung the child up and into the corner of one of the glass shelves, opening about a 4-5 inch gash on the child's leg, and breaking the shelf. I was standing at the cash register (about 6 feet away) the whole time, watching this happen.

Now, who is at fault in this situation? Us for having an exposed corner 4 feet off the ground at the end of our shopping carts? Or the parent for swinging his kicking child around in a space that was about 2.5 feet wide rather than pull the cart out first?

His insurance refused to pay for the emergency room visit saying the father was an idiot. They don't pay for parents who slam children into shelves. His lawyer tried to sue us for the $2,000 emergency room visit...and another $20,000 in emotional distress and damages. Yep, $20,000 because the father had no space perception and used his own child as a projectile, which was obviously our fault.

(Our insurance eventually paid them the $2,000, but no one besides the child's parents though the $20,000 was anything but a joke.)

Meadrol

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2012
Lubbock, Texas
Well is that just the name of the Braggot of is that the flavour profile that you are aiming for lol

Haha! At first it was just going to be the name, but now I'm thinking that I might aim for that flavour profile and give it to shitheads for Christmas gifts.

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO
Haha! At first it was just going to be the name, but now I'm thinking that I might aim for that flavour profile and give it to shitheads for Christmas gifts.

As amusing as that sounds. I think that'd backfire. The shitheads won't think you insulted them by giving them ass mead, they'll just think you're a shitty mead maker. (is there a word for that?)

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
As amusing as that sounds. I think that'd backfire. The shitheads won't think you insulted them by giving them ass mead, they'll just think you're a shitty mead maker. (is there a word for that?)

I call dibs on the Scheiße Cup, a mead competition for exceptionally bad meads.

Last edited:

gdsmit1

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 23, 2012
Wow, it's great to see another forum where a thread can go so off track so fast.

(Our insurance eventually paid them the $2,000, but no one besides the child's parents though the $20,000 was anything but a joke.)
I'm sure that his lawyer thought it was a great idea as well.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns