• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Newbie help please

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tom_b

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Oct 25, 2016
Greetings all, I have two questions. First, made a batch of JAOM three weeks ago and all is well, the liquid level was at the bottom of the gallon carboy neck initially but has now fallen to about an inch and a half from it's original level, add water to reduce air space or let it ride? Second question, I stared a 5 gallon BOMM late last night and put in about a quarter cup to much honey. Wasn't really grasping reading the hygrometer either but am clear about it now. Long story short specific gravity is 1.38 when it should have been 1.04 per the recipe. Do I leave it alone, do I remove some and add water to get gravity back in range or should I scrap this batch and start all over as I do have the yeast. Thank you

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Bad information is probably worse than no information.

Something seems to be wrong with your specific gravity question. The starting gravity of a BOMM should be around 1.100 and a reading of 1.040 is about where you should be after about 1.5 weeks of fermentation. 1.38 would probably be off the scale of your hydrometer. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to read a hydrometer. Please watch a few of them.

Maybe you meant 1.138? If so, you should add some water to bring it down to around 1.100 to 1.120. It's possible to have a starting gravity of 1.138, with a BOMM, but probably not something you want to be doing for your second batch of mead.

I believe the direction for a JAOM specifically states to add water after the major foaming has stopped, so you should probably have added water two weeks ago......

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns