• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Book Recommendations?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Emiroo

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2007
So when I got serious about brewing beer, I read anything I could get my hands on and it helped improve my results a lot. However, there seems to be a lot more good information on brewin' beer than brewin' mead.

I am ordering Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm from amazon. Any other must reads? (pun intended :D)

Thanks!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Emiroo'

Check out these pages here, here, and here at GM for starters. After Ken's great book, "Mad About Mead" is a good next step, I think.

You have read through the Newbee Guide, too, haven't you? It's a veritable book in its own right, filled with everything a new mazer could want to know.

-David

Emiroo

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2007
I was actually able to check both books out from the library today :) Excellent!

I did read through the Newbee guide which certainly gave me lots of great information on how to get started and make my first mead (added to y'alls wonderful advice of course). Add these three titles and I should be well on my way :)

Thanks again for the recommendations!

mrflibble

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 23, 2007
I have Ken's book and I really like it.

One thing I am finding out is that there are a bazillion ways to make make and many seemingly contradictory suggestions. For example: One books said "Never be afraid to rack" and another one said "Never rack until the fermentation is done." Now, those aren't really contradictory, but sometimes it is hard to find the true middle ground.

Also, recently I ran into instructions for using bentonite. (My first batch is still cloudy after four months.) The instructions on the bentonite say to add it then thoroughly mix the mead by stirring or shaking. But most other sources say "Don't ever stir/shake, that will introduce oxygen". So are the bentonite instructions assuming this is at the very beginning? Or that sulfite have been used? GAH! There has to be some truth in there somewhere.

And another... Ken never talks about stirring after the pitching, but many sources do. Then what? I would like to know why to do / not to do.

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
mrflibble said:
I have Ken's book and I really like it.

One thing I am finding out is that there are a bazillion ways to make make and many seemingly contradictory suggestions. For example: One books said "Never be afraid to rack" and another one said "Never rack until the fermentation is done." Now, those aren't really contradictory, but sometimes it is hard to find the true middle ground.

Two comments in reference to your contradictory statement (which I too have noticed)
1: Mead making to me is about probability of success. One could take water, add honey, dump in yeast and wait and get get mead. The chance of getting something pleasurable to drink is pretty low. Likewise one could follow the stricitest of santitation practices and still have something go wrong. People will often give advice for what has worked for them and feel that since it worked its the right thing to do and therefore is the only way to do it.

2: I will see advice given to always do something or never do something without giving a reason. That really doesnt help educate brewers. Mead can be stubborn enough as it is and the more knowledge of whats going on the better.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey MrF.

As I mentioned in another post, it's time for you to do some of you're own research. Check out my other replies and use the search tool in the forums. There is a wealth of information out there including many references by others and myself about nutrients, stirring, oaking, etc.

Spend some time reading.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns