• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

campden or potassium metabisulfite whats the diffrence?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ace

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 4, 2006
my brewshop today told me i could subsitute campden tabs for 1/8t potassium metabisulfite?(they were out) so what is the diffrence and should i break up and use only part of the tab for a 1gal mead?

any help would be apprecated!

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I believe that 1 campden tablet has "about" 1/8 tsp of sulfite in it plus some other inert ingrediants in them to make it solid and a bit easier to handle.
My LHBS told me the same. They were out of campdens and sold me a bag of sulfite.

So far from experiance though 1/8th seems to be a little more then 1 campden. I am going 100% by taste of the finished product so it is by no means scientific. It just seems that it is leaving more sulfite flavor. I think they say 1/8th because its the smallest common measuring spoon.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
The primary difference between Campden tablets and powdered K-Metabisulphit is that Campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphit as opposed to potassium metabisulphite (powdered form available at your LHBS)

Apart from that 1 campden tablet per gallon will add sulphite at a rate of 75 ppm. You're also adding sodium to your mead/wine when you use Campden tablets, which can become detectable by taste especially in white wine/mead. Depending on the amount of sulphites already present from your fermentation I prefer to use the powdered K Metabisulphite because it's more exact (since I'm weighing it out), it doesn't add sodium that may become detectable in the flavor, and the K Metabisulphite will help during cold stabilization (Tartaric acid will precipitate out and tartaric acid cystals will form) rather than during long term aging in the bottle or carboy.

When using either form of Sulphite you must use pH to determine the amount of sulphites you'll need to add to reach your target level. When I do add sulphite it's generally 30-35 ppm.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
So roughly 1/16th a tsp or 1/2 a campden per gallon. I had a feeling I was oversulfiting. I have several 1 gallon jugs that I plan to start doing some major testing and sulfite levels are one of them. I dont like testing with different batches at different times... to easy to have uncontrolled variables then doing them at the same time.

I probably should switch over to a weight based system instead of volume.

Thanks for the info Oskaar

jaysbrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2004
www.jaysbrewing.com
The primary difference between Campden tablets and powdered K-Metabisulphit is that Campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphit as opposed to potassium metabisulphite (powdered form available at your LHBS)

Oskaar: actually, campden tablets may be sodium meta OR potassium meta. Nearly all homebrew shops carry the sodium type because they are a little cheaper. However some (like me!) sell potassium meta tablets because that's what most customers want to get. As you mentioned, the sodium meta can leave an unwanted flavor (and the TTB even forbids its use). Here's a link to the campden I sell:

http://jaysbrewing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_56&products_id=276

Cheers,
Jay

PS: remember gotmead'ers - use 'gotmead' as a coupon code on my site and get 10% off + I'll donate 5% to the gotmead site.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Thanks Jay, good to know.

I've only ever seen the Na-Meta around here in SoCal.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns