• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cherry Bounce

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I found this recipe in the _Whitehouse Cookbook_ a collection of recipes from the 1800's that were part of the USA Whitehouse cuisine. I altered the recipe, however (see my reply to Joe M. in the Mulled Wine thread ::) )

Pretty simple -- take a big plastic food grade storage container, oh, about a gallon or so, fill it almost full with cherries. Good cherries. Then, add enough Kentucky Bourbon whiskey to fill the gaps between the cherries and fill the container. Let it set for several months. Several more if necessary. Strain the whole mess through a rice colander. Let it sit in glass bottles for a while, enough for the sediment to settle. Siphon off the liquid, once it's clear. Let it age for about a year, more if necessary.

Good stuff!

The original recipe called for sugar in addition to the cherries and the bourbon whiskey. I've found that sugar adds extra body to the liquor, but my personal preference has been to leave the sugar out.

Cherry Bounce is a well known home made liquor from the 1800's, and likely older than that.

Erik_the_Red

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
That sounds delicious... but does anybody have recipes with some instant satisfaction?

I know, I know Good things come to those who wait and wait and....

I like Vickie's Cider, I love Mead! I enjoy being intoxicated with some good friends.

And it is great when it is made by friends and people we know.

...... Anyway now I've got Cherry Bounce setting away for a later day or year? LOL ::)

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Erik_the_Red said:
That sounds delicious... but does anybody have recipes with some instant satisfaction?

Sure -- mix orange juice and vodka, shake and drink. Instant recipe and instant satisfaction. ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, Cherry Bounce is really good stuff. Takes a while to make but it's worth the wait. Because I cut out the sugar, the body is somewhat light but I found I liked it that way. Less sweet taste, more cherry flavor, better flavor from the Bourbon whiskey. The aging is important. I found that newly bottled, the cherry and whiskey flavors were distinct from each other. With sufficient aging they blended together wonderfully.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Two shots good cognac, 1 shot Gran Marnier, 1 Shot Chambord combine in a large non-leaded crystal Snifter and nuke in the microwave for about 15 - 20 seconds. Nice with a good Cuban Cigar after a feast.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Erik_the_Red

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Now were talkin instant satisfaction. ;D ;D

Tired of counting bubbles sober. These should all help :)

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
I've a loquat liquer very similar to the cherry bounce you describe. A friend of mine makes moonshine soaked cherries and uses the resultant liquid as cherry bounce.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns