• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

It was not Microwave Proof, I'm Dead

Barrel Char Wood Products

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Here's a warning to everybody who tries to melt bees wax in the microwave, make sure the container is microwave proof. Just melted a pound of wax and had a major diaster, the container melted along with the wax. My dear wife is sitting in the next room and doesn't have the faintest idea of what I just did. When she finds out I'm going to get killed :eek: Well back to the cleanup, what she doesn't know won't hurt her, gotta work fast the end is near :-[

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
Oh I know how that feels. It was lunch time one fine day, and I was hungry, so I decided to cook some pasta. Alas in my haste I forgot to add water, and I smoked out the house lol….The microwave stunk so we had to get rid of it. Also iv put a jar in that happened to have a fine amount of foil on it, oh the arcing was amazing….Also never put eggs in there <im a curious person, and wondered if the microwave could hard boil my egg, it also scrabbles it, all over the microwave <blew the door off>>

Moral of the story, don’t let me near your microwave…..Cook pastor on the stove were it’s meant to be cooked, in fact just use the stove.. :-\

Mu.

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Dodged the bullet with this one, the wax stayed in the glass plate and didn't spill into the microwave. All that had to be done was slip the plate into the fridge to harden the wax and peel it off. Got caught at the very end of the cleanup, real lucky she didn't see the mess when I started. So I'm still alive to brew more mead. ;D

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
probably, then again….Just ignore my quirky spelling. And good thing it didn’t leak, I should design a microwave that I can’t destroy ;D

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Well, I've already confessed here that we don't have a TV...let me really slip back to the Iron Age and confess that I won't have a microwave either. Call me old-fashioned, but they creep me out. In fact my dream is to have a steady supply of chopped wood and a wood-burning stove...that would look neat in my apartment. ;D

Miriam

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I with you Miriam, won't have one in my home, and that's been a sore point with more then a couple of girlfriends. Microwaves are best left to radio detection and ranging.

Happy mazing,

Anthony

p.s. don't try cooking a whole pack of hotdogs in the microwave. ;D

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
When researching melting bees wax for my bottling, I read SO MANY TIMES not to nuke it because the wax has a very low flash point. It's very easy to overheat it in the microwave and have it auto-ignite. Always use a double boiler because the water would limit it to 212 degrees.

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
Oh and if you ever use distilled water, from what I understand it doesn’t really boil. If you then add say, coffee to it after heating it in a microwave it’s liable to explode… That’s microwave safety 101 for today.

We have a wood fired stove at home as well, it’s fantastic for drying herbs, I use it during the winter, but summer here is way to hot to simply rely on it.

Mu.

M

Marko DaBeest

Ha ha ha ha

This microwave is my best work yet. You all come to rely upon it and take it for granted. It sits and waits for the right moment and then when the time is right it will nuke your soul when you push the defrost cycle. Ha ha ha ha

Then you will be stuck in the third circle of Hell watching bad TV ha ha ha ha ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I'm talking shows like three wishes, numbers, invasion, related to name a few. Be ready to scream for eternity.

DaBeest

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
memento said:
When researching melting bees wax for my bottling, I read SO MANY TIMES not to nuke it because the wax has a very low flash point. It's very easy to overheat it in the microwave and have it auto-ignite. Always use a double boiler because the water would limit it to 212 degrees.

I use beeswax in blacksmithing to coat steel and prevent deterioration, but if you put it on while the steel is too hot, the whole piece catches fire and drops flaming wax into the grass. Annoys my neighbors, but it gives me a chuckle.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Mu,

Good safety warning, but it actually applies to any water. If you nuke water in a vessel that is extremely smooth, the steam has no sharp edges to form on as bubbles. The water then becomes super heated. Then when you either move the container or add anything to it (such as coffee), the bubbles will form extremely rapidly, causing a gyser of boiling water to erupt. This is extremely dangerous. If you are boiling water on it´s own, make sure the vessel you are using has some roughness to it, or add something safe to the water like a plastic spoon or a glass bead.

Angus

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I had a chemistry teacher who demonstrated this during our first day in class. He used a new pyrex beaker and an alcohol burner to demonstrate the super heated water phenomenon. I've had it happen in the microwave with a mug of water destined to be instant coffee. All it did was make a mess, but I take it more seriously than I used to.

I grew up spending summers in a cabin on a lake in a remote corner of Michigan's upper peninsula. It was a beatiful place and peaceful without electricity or phones. We were about 20 miles out of town and at least 15 miles from the nearest power line. So I love a wood burning cook stove, gas or kerosine lanterns, and nothing is better than a stew slow simmered on that old cook stove...
Today the cabin has all the modern luxuries: running water, central heat, electricity, and yes a microwave...

I'll remember to keep the beeswax out of the microwave

David

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I never did have a wood-burning stove, but I lived in the north of Israel, in the rural mountaintop town of Safed, for five years - and in that house I had a big kerosene stove with a chimney. I loved that cranky old guy: it kept us warm, it made a comforting rumbling noise while it was doing its fire-eating act, and I used it not only to dry herbs and fruit leathers on, I also put sourdough to rise there, and even cooked overnight Sabbath stews on it. I miss that stove sometimes.

The house was at least 120 years old; had suffered a bomb attack during the War of Independence and was also haunted. I don't miss the ghosts.

Miriam

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns