• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM Questions.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Sanitizing the outside of the pouch is also a good practice to get into; beer yeast are all killer toxin susceptible (and hence don't produce this compound) which means that they won't kill of competing organisms like some wine yeasts will. Just a precaution.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

ReadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 28, 2014
So I'm looking at starting two-3 gallon(finished volume) BOMMs. both are melomels getting roughly 10 pounds of berries each. My question is this, with the BOMM style is it best to add the berries to primary, secondary, or some combination of both? It seems like just adding everything to primary would be easiest, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. BTW- one will be all blueberry, the other mixed berry...

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Because BOMM has such a quick turnaround, you can experiment very easily and get results much faster than other meads. My answer? Do 2 blueberry batches, one with fruit in primary, the other fruit in secondary. There are different characteristics that come from each process, and the best way to learn them is by experimenting, you may prefer blueberries in secondary, but raspberries in primary, only you can find out what you like.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I like doing half and half. Half the fruit in the primary, ferment to dry, stabilize, then add the rest of the fruit to the must to give it some fresh fruit flavour as opposed to fermented fruit flavour and also to sweeten it up a bit.

occhuzzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Anyone have any post fermentation options? I will try anything once.....in my mead.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Anyone have any post fermentation options? I will try anything once.....in my mead.

Look in the Perfect BOMM thread. I think I used most every trick in the book there (step fed backsweetening, oaking, acid blend, honey blending, etc).

I would suggest more oak, less acid.

Better brewing through science!

occhuzzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
I did that and it was one of the ones I saved so I can look at it more at a later date. I brought everything to make this BOMM so I am looking for different things to add after the primary so I can make many different BOMMs. The primary all being the same but after that all different things. Some different melomels, one with vanilla. I am still new to this and the Perfect BOMM thread seems scary and way over my head.

occhuzzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
If I become a "Patron" would i get step by step recipes? I am looking for something that would give me basic MEAD that is sweet and then I can Rac and build off of it. I was thinking BOMM would be it.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
The BOMM recipe I give in the recipe section is about as step by step as it gets. I'll check to make sure it is updated. BOMM is really good for experimenting since it is the fastest mead to date. You can then apply your findings to long term wine yeast based mead.

When you become a Patron, you get access to a lot of tried and true recipes. Many made by patrons that have won awards. It is definitely worth it. You will learn a massive amount in a very short timeframe.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
I updated the BOMM recipe to make it more clear and less "scary".

occhuzzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Thank You and I will look into it. I Racked my first JAOM the other day. Waiting it to clear and I will put 1 gal in bottles and the other gal to age. Then I will move to BOMM. I have high hopes.

occhuzzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
So aerate and degas....... for this MEAD do I do it 3 times a day for a week or the 2 week time frame???? I plan on using the drill bit method.

Aragorn

NewBee
Registered Member
May 4, 2014
East NC
You aerate 3 times a day for the first 1/3 of the ferment. So look at your starting gravity and find the 1/3 and 2/3 points. Those are when you add nutrient. And you aerate for just the first third

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
BOMM = Bray's One Month Mead
JAOM = Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
BOMM = Bray's One Month Mead
JAOM = Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Thanks so much for all of the information you have shared about your BOMM. I made 3 JAOMs and a customized version and I didn't enjoy them so much because of the sweetness. I still have a bit of all three in storage to hopefully let age at least six months to a year. They've only been bottled for about 2 months.

I made two batches and tried to follow your recipe as closely as possible. The only difference is that I used slightly less honey (I thought I had more and I was already knee-deep in the process when I realized it was short) which brought my SG down to about 1.082. These are 1 gallon batches.

I was reading about how people do a lot of BOMM variations with all kinds of things. Any advice on adding fresh fruit to a secondary fermenter? Any recommendations instead of just keeping it simple and by the book for these first two batches?

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/antonton/a2841605-c1c8-439b-8e85-6f5521156a99.jpg

Also, should I top off the batches with water after the 1/3 sugar break? Before? Not at all? Thanks again for the instructions!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Thanks so much for all of the information you have shared about your BOMM. I made 3 JAOMs and a customized version and I didn't enjoy them so much because of the sweetness. I still have a bit of all three in storage to hopefully let age at least six months to a year. They've only been bottled for about 2 months.

I made two batches and tried to follow your recipe as closely as possible. The only difference is that I used slightly less honey (I thought I had more and I was already knee-deep in the process when I realized it was short) which brought my SG down to about 1.082. These are 1 gallon batches.

I was reading about how people do a lot of BOMM variations with all kinds of things. Any advice on adding fresh fruit to a secondary fermenter? Any recommendations instead of just keeping it simple and by the book for these first two batches?

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/antonton/a2841605-c1c8-439b-8e85-6f5521156a99.jpg

Also, should I top off the batches with water after the 1/3 sugar break? Before? Not at all? Thanks again for the instructions!

Since you have 2 identical batches, I would leave one alone and tweak the other. Here are some suggestions:

1. Add more honey to boost the strength. I generally let it go to 1.00, then add to 1.01. Let it drop and repeat until it no longer drops.

2. My standard practice these days is to let it go to 1.00 (either naturally or the process above) and add 1 whole vanilla bean and 7 cubes of medium toast American oak. I try to add vanilla 1 month before bottling. Oak is fine for 3 months or greater to taste.

3. Buy a 3-5 lbs frozen berry mix from your grocery store and rack your mead on it. You can use fresh as well, but freeze it first.

4. Add spices. My current favorite is a Szechuan BOMM. You can look it that brewlog for spices and quantities. I have a lot of metheglin brewlogs here. Just search BOMM for a myriad of ideas.

Any combo of the above or something I've not thought of is fine. I mostly tweak things until it tastes like what I'm going for.
It's your mead. Experiment!

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014

Thanks again! I will heed your advice and leave one simple, perhaps add a bit more honey to it to increase the strength, but otherwise leave it alone. Perhaps I'll add some fruit or oak as you recommended to the other.

I've read all 30 pages of the BOMM thread over at homebrewtalk.com and I'll continue to check it out!

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron

I know what you mean about the JAOMs. Its a wonderful beginner's recipe, but it's not exactly something I go wild over. My all-time favorite so far is a 14% traditional. I just sampled an ~20% sack mead I made a little more than a year ago. It's clear as a bell, but it's got a yeasty taste and smell. It's also still rough. I'm putting it in the back of the closet for another year and we'll see, but from now on I'm going to be making mostly traditionals.

Joe

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Over the past 5 months, I have become exceedingly picky with beer due to my introduction to Belgian ales. They are really just about all that I drink anymore beer-wise, or abbey ales styled in the Dubbel or Tripel styles. I've turned into a beer snob haha.

Now that I'm really enjoying such finely crafted beers, that same scrutiny has entered into my novice mead-making. I'm hoping that the BOMM will be dryer and more in the style that I prefer. It is a total and lucky coincidence that the yeast is a Belgian strong ale yeast. I've been smelling the brew and it is quite enjoyable. I just added the nutrients for the first sugar break, and I bought more honey and I believe both should have the correct amount that Bray recommended in them.

Joe, would you mind giving a brief rundown of your traditional mead that you like so much? What kind of yeast does it use, which honey(s), how long do you age it, and do you add ingredients to a secondary ferment or anything in particular?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns