• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead for Mixed Drinks? B. Nektar shows you how.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
So we've been trying to figure out how to get more bars and restaurants to start carrying our meads and we thought that being able to use it as a mixer would give them more uses for it than just selling by the glass. So when the opportunity came up for us to showcase these drinks for a local I Love Detroit contest, we jumped at the chance.

The Real Detroit
4 parts B. Nektar Wildberry Pyment
1 part premium vodka
1 part triple sec
1 part Faygo Rock N Rye
squeeze of lime and orange

Add everything but the Rock N Rye to a cocktail shaker with lots of ice. Shake like Zeus.
Pour Faygo into a martini or rocks glass, top with what's in the shaker. Garnish with orange and lime.

You might have trouble finding Faygo if you don't live Michigan, but we have other cocktails on our website that don't require Faygo. I'll post more soon.

Here's a link to see me preparing one on Fox news.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/mornings/made_in_mich/i-love-detroit-wrap-party-20100629-mr

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
I still remember the old Faygo commercials growing up. What a selection they used to have. On a similar note... remember Towne Club sodas?

Great clip Brad. It's awesome seeing how well mead is being received back there.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
*applause*
I can definitely tell you've mixed a drink or two in your time, Brad. Well done.

StevenGoodson

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2010
Columbia, Mo
Ha! Towne Club soda and Faygo! That's a blast from the past. I can remember mixing and matching cases of TC at our local vendor in Mt. Clemens. Awesome!

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
If you have never got meet Brad, you must. He is just that way when you speak to him in person. Very dinamic personality and dreams huge. Anyone in the MI. or any other state come celebrate Mead day. It will be a blast and I would love to meet fellow mazers!

Great job bro on the the vid. I must try that the next time I am down there.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I saw this when you posted it on FB, and yay! Pretty sweet. Without the lime, I don't like limes, but I'd try it.

But what the heck IS Faygo rock n rye? What could you substitute?

Maybe at my next mead tasting party we'll play around with some of the mead as mixers recipes. That'd be fun. :)

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Rock N Rye is a flavor of soda made by Faygo (a Detroit soda company). Yes, I know that doesn't help if you're not from this area because as far as I know, Faygo is only in FL and MI.

I have posted some other recipes on our website, www.bnektar.com and I'll post some more here, too.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Rock N Rye is a flavor of soda made by Faygo (a Detroit soda company). Yes, I know that doesn't help if you're not from this area because as far as I know, Faygo is only in FL and MI.

I have posted some other recipes on our website, www.bnektar.com and I'll post some more here, too.
A lot of the stores here in western PA carry Faygo, but not the whole assortment. Pretty much just the Cola, Twist, Root Beer, Orange and sometimes Grape. I haven't seen the Rock n Rye, Redpop or Frosh in ages, especially not in 12-packs. I never realized they made 50+ flavors.

And much thanks for the drink recipes.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Some more drink recipes

B. Nektar Sangria

Makes a little less than a gallon:

You need:

- 2 bottles Wildberry Pyment

- 1 liter Ginger Ale (Vernors is good - add more or less to taste)

- 2-3 shots of Gin (I use gin, some may use Vodka)

- 1 Large Orange

- 1 Large Lemon

- 1-2 Limes (use two if they are small)

Steps:

- Mix Wildberry Pyment and Gin in a 1 gallon + container

- Wash and quarter all citrus and remove seeds

- Squeeze citrus into mixture and add to mixture (rinds and all)

- Refrigerate and let sit over night

- Add ginger ale to taste and serve (add right before serving to make sure it is bubbly)

Note: You can use club soda in place of the ginger ale. I have even added a tablespoon of honey or two with it.

I've never done this with Vodka, but if you hate gin, try vodka.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Spiced Vanilla Cider

You need:

- 1 bottles Vanilla Cinnamon Mead

- 1/2 gallon fresh apple cider

Steps:

- Mix the mead and cider 50/50 in a glass and serve

- Alternately, mix and heat over low heat until it reaches about 160F. Do not boil, or you'll lose the alcohol. Then serve warm with a whole cinnamon stick.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Orange Blossom Creamsicle

B. Nektar Orange Blossom Creamsicle

3 parts B. Nektar Orange Blossom Mead
1 part premium vodka
1 part triple sec
1 part Irish Cream liqueur
splash of orange juice

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until VERY cold. Pour into a martini glass. Garnish with an orange slice.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
Mayan Warrior (aka: Motor City Warrior)

Motor City Warrior

4 parts B. Nektar Vanilla Cinnamon Mead
1 part premium vodka
1 part Kahlua (regular or mocha)
1 part Godiva chocolate liqueur

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake gently until cold. Drizzle the inside of a martini glass with chocolate syrup. Add contents of the shaker. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and/or chipotle pepper.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns