• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cyser vs Cider

Barrel Char Wood Products

EBCornell

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2008
Connecticut
I've been trying to sort out the differences between a cyser and a cider. Does the use of honey vs. brown sugar make the difference? What type of yeast would you recommend for a traditional New England cider? Any recipes? I've found a few, but I'd love to hear about more that work well...
Thanks!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Cyser is the name given to beverages fermented with a combination of apple juice and honey. Brown sugar doesn't come into it, so if you did an apple juice and brown sugar ferment it would make a "fortified cider," while the same recipe using honey instead of the sugar (or along with it) would be a cyser.

Just a naming convention, and "cyser" is reserved for those made with honey.

Personally I like K1V-1116 for ciders because I find that although I get a strong ferment that always goes dry, enough of the apple aroma and flavor remains (and more returns after some aging) that the apple character is not lost. I've also had good luck with R-HST in a cyser. I know I'm unconventional, as many hard-core hard cider makers tend to favor some of the Wyeast liquid yeast cultures. BTW - the types of apples pressed into juice will make far more difference in the flavor of your resulting cider than will the selection of yeast, or the inclusion of brown sugar. I personally don't like brown sugar additions in hard ciders, since they tend to impart a "hot" and somewhat oxidized character that I don't care for. That's my personal taste, although I know of lots of folks who like their apple-sugar ciders. I prefer more fresh apple flavors and less of that cooked sugar (rum-like) flavor in my ciders.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
DV10 is my beastie of choice for ciders, I got that from the Cider Digest. For cysers I like K1-V1116, D47 and EC-1118. Looking forward to making my cysers tonight.

Cheers,

Oskaar

EBCornell

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2008
Connecticut
Excellent info. Many thanks! I picked up a gallon at the orchard when we were picking apples last weekend. I think I'll just order some yeast, pitch it in and sit back and wait. How long is the wait, by the way? Some sources I've read have hinted at longer aging periods, others suggest that their ciders were ready to drink fairly young.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
It really depends on how well you manage your fermentation, and apply the nutrients. Cider is very much like mead in that it is low in FAN and YANC. So staggered nutrient additions are indicated. Generally my ciders are pretty much ready to drink very quickly after fermenation. Six months at the outside.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns