• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Howdy all

Barrel Char Wood Products

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
Just made my first batch of mead using the info from http://www.cavemanchemistry.com/cavebook/chmead3.html
I know it may cause some of you to gasp in horror that i used such a "barbaric" method. I did my first racking tonight into a glass bottle and couldn't resist the urge to try it. I had just stumbled onto that site before this one and decided it was so simple I'd try it. I'm sold on mead making! It tastes very much like a white wine since - I think I didn't add quite enough honey and used *gasp* bread yeast. I have another batch already fermenting! I'm sold on mead! :D

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
:D That's the one I made! Mine's in its second fermenter and my second batch was started using D-47 and 3 lbs honey for 4 liter batch

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Welcome!

I don't think you'll find anyone here who will crucify you for using bread yeast. Most or all of us here are here to learn and share our experience and our collective knowledge.

As you read through this forum, you will find that there is an excellent recipe for Joe's Ancient Orange and Spice mead. It uses Fleishman's bread yeast and yealds some VERY drinkable mead.

Read through the yeast test results, and you will learn a lot about how different yeasts produce markedly different results. Yes, the yeast does matter, and should be carefully chosen based upon the desired end result.

Learn to use the "search" function of this forum, and don't be afraid to ask questions. We were all new once, and many of us are still very new to the art of mazing.

Again I say "Welcome", and look forward to hearing about your experiences, successes, and setbacks.

David

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Welcome!

Bread yeast is a very viable yeast for brewing depending on what the recipe and the desired outcome are. No worries.

"Barbaric"? I like to look at my bubbling carboys and grunt so I suppose you could consider me and my procedure barbaric too.

Like David said, make free use of the search and when all else fails ask away!

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
I documented my adventures in mead making in the log section for those that would like to see exactly what i've been up to :)

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns