• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Giving during the Yuletide Season

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm involved with a couple of community outreach organizations (Meals on Wheels, Senior Center, etc.) that deliver food the the homebound, transport, etc. I was wondering how many other of you folks out there are involved in similar or any other community outreach organizations.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
There a community-wide free Thanksgiving dinner where I usually volunteer each year. It's a wonderful program in that you see middle class families with their kids sitting next to needy people, all enjoying Thanksgiving dinner and the more fortunate donating food and labor to feed everyone, regardless of need.

I also usually donate food and clothing to the local food/clothing outreach program. Our local Wells Fargo bank has a Christmas tree with ornaments made of paper where residents of local nursing homes write down simple gift requests. It's so sad seeing these elderly people wanting sweat pants, a cassette of cowboy songs, McDonalds gift certificates, or similar simple items that most people take for granted. It's great seeing where your donatations are going, and knowing they're helping those in your own community.

Merry Christmas everbody!

andrew_buhl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2005
Hmmm you said you do "Meals on Wheels"? I am think "Mead on wheels" - Giving a couple of shut in freinds mead for the holidays.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Our budget is modest, but we donate year-round to the local senior's restaurant, which also provides meals on wheels, the Israel Cancer Society, a national soup kitchen/school hot-lunch program called Panim Meirot (Shining Faces), and Zaka, the organization whose teams arrive at the site of emergencies to extricate survivors and deal with the grisly business of those who didn't survive. I humbly admit that I'm not out there in the field for any of those organizations. Actually Zaka doesn't accept women volunteers because they feel that women could not bear the nature of the work, but that's no reason not to put my hands into the other organizations...I am main caretaker for three family members, two of whom have chronic ailments, though...

Miriam

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Annual soup sale at work that raises money to buy gift cards from local grocery store. These are then handed over to the local shelter along with a years worth of clothes collected from friends and cooworkers.

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns