• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Easy Braggot?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Scarneck

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2005
I am quite interested in starting a braggot. Only thing is that I have only ever brewed beer with extracts, never with the actual malt, hops, etc. I have had great luck with meads, wines, and the beer from extract, and am dying to try a braggot. Is it possible to do with just extracts? or is it not worth it? If anyone has a recipe let me know; or do I just simply combine the two brewing processes?

Thanks!!

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey Scarneck,

Yes it is possible to make an okay braggot from extract and honey. Though adding and steeping specialty grain will turn out better. Yes, it's worth it... after all it's a starting point.

I've just started to use hops after about a 1/2 dozen braggots.

As to a recipe, you say you've made beer from extract. Well start with a recipe you've already made, then add honey (at least 30% of the fermentable sugar) and you have a braggot.

Something I've started playing with, the use of an Ale yeast to ferment the wort, followed by blending the ale with honey and water, adding wine yeast and letting it ferment out from there to make a braggot.

The results have had much better malt character, and by far a more complex braggot then using wine yeast alone.

Links to the latest braggots I've made/am making ~

Apple Wheat Braggot

Bermuda Triangle Barleymead

Imperial Oatmeal Porter Braggot

While these are All-Grain braggots, there's no reason they couldn't be made with extract and specialty grain.

Dmntd

finburger

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2006
You might want to consider going from all extract to steeping grains or a partial mash (similar to steeping grains). I think you'll find the beer is even better. Several hbs sell such kits.

No reason at al why you can't make a braggot from such a kit. After all, the only real difference is that most of the grain fermentables has already been mashed and turned into the liquid malt or dry malt extracts.

Some styles lend themselves to braggots more than others. Sorry, but I can't think of which right now. But in s dark recess of my memory, it seems like malty, dark brews are better. I'm talking beers like porters and stouts. But try a style you really like.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns