• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bottling JAO

Barrel Char Wood Products

Keln

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2006
I have a gallon of JAO in the primary, and it has been there for about a month and a half or so. Now, I followed directions of the recipe to the letter, but this stuff cleared over two weeks ago. Almost three weeks ago now actually.

The fruit hasn't dropped, and I was going to wait until then, but in his recipe, he says he doesn't even wait for that. Since Joe says that this stuff should take 2 months and a week about to finish, should I wait until 2 months at least before bottling? I'm not that anxious, I just need to free up a carboy for another recipe. I tasted this mead a week ago or so (yes the wine thief was sterilized!) and it was already fantastic imo. The wife liked it too, and she has never liked mead.

There's been no airlock activity for weeks, so I am not really afraid of bottle bombs. Is there a reason to leave it sitting in the carboy for another several weeks? Or can I just bottle it and leave it to age? I haven't drawn enough to test with a hydrometer because I didn't want to mess with the stuff too much.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I say this bud's for you!

That is, let your taste buds do the decision making. Thieve off a sample and try it, if it tastes good and is crystal clear in a wineglass, then you can probably rack without any problems. If it still has some floaties in the sample it will do it no harm to sit until it's crystal clear.

You make the call!

cheers,

Oskaar

Keln

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2006
Yeah, it's crystal clear and tastes great. I was just afraid of any kind of deviation from the recipe. Although the recipe wasn't exactly strict on timing. I think I'll wait maybe another week then, and bottle.

thx Oskaar.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
The fruit won't always drop so that isn't necessarily the primary indicator. I have gotten in the habit of racking my AO's off of the fruit after the fermentation stops. The racking will usually suck along bits of orange and raisins but those settle out in the secondary. Then I rack into the bottling bucket and bottle leaving those bits behind...

That is what I'd recommend if you have the extra container to rack into...

Good luck,
Pewter

Keln

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2006
I decided to go ahead an bottle it, but of course I screwed up when I moved the carboy and mixed the sediment into the liquid and it is now cloudy. So I racked it into a big pot I use for just that purpose and cleaned out the carboy. Took a while to dig all that fruit out and I can't believe how big the cinnamon stick got. Anyways, I cleaned the carboy really good and racked the mead back into it. I used a grain bag the first time around the end of the racking cane so I didn't draw in pulp with the mead. I stuck the carboy in the fridge so it can settle out. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow it will be clear again and I can bottle it.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Keln said:
I decided to go ahead an bottle it, but of course I screwed up when I moved the carboy and mixed the sediment into the liquid and it is now cloudy. So I racked it into a big pot I use for just that purpose and cleaned out the carboy. Took a while to dig all that fruit out and I can't believe how big the cinnamon stick got. Anyways, I cleaned the carboy really good and racked the mead back into it. I used a grain bag the first time around the end of the racking cane so I didn't draw in pulp with the mead. I stuck the carboy in the fridge so it can settle out. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow it will be clear again and I can bottle it.

Hopefully soon! I'm guessing you have a lot of headspace right now, from racking off the fruit and from there into a container the same as before. Keeping it cold should help since cold temperatures help slow down chemical reactions, including those that can result from too much exposure to air.

Don't worry too much about this -- honey has anti-oxidant properties and, depending on the honey you used, might protect against adverse reactions. But, keep it cold!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns