• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Potential alcohol content

Barrel Char Wood Products

gnome

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2006
Hello all. I've started my first batch and here's the recipe; 14 lbs wildflower Honey
4 gal purified water
2 tsp gypsum
2 vanilla beans
2 tsp Irish moss
Wyeast 4632 activator dry mead
2 tsp yeast nutrient
Pasteurized at 160 deg. cooled primary in ice bath to 75 deg. before pitching Yeast. Used a Lee's stir and a cordless drill to get the O2 in, 3 minutes. room at 76 Deg.
The starting sg is 1.10. So the out come could be 12-14%. now if I wanted an outcome of, let's say 18-20%, would I use a different recipe or is there a possible manipulation to get it to go to a higher alcohol content?

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
I'm far from experienced here, but it seems to me the only way to get more alcohol is to have more fermentable sugar (as in honey).
Jon

DarkStar

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2005
Lone Rock, WI
Did a check for your yeast alcohol tolerance and its good to 18% may be able to go higher by slowly feeding honey into it after its fermented down to around 1.000 and keep track of your gravity changes as you go or just keep adding until fermentation has stopped.

Might want to add in more nutrient and energizer to make sure the yeast are very healthy so as not to get stressed out and cause off flavors.

Just keep in mind the more alcohol and the farther the yeast get pushed the longer it will need to age in order to be more enjoyable to drink for more than a good drunk.

gnome

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2006
I've used Wyeast 3632?( the package reads 4632 Dry Mead) It should be able to handle the high alcohol. The Must has been going for 5 days( burp every 3 sec).So on the seventh day depending on the hyro reading I may go for the adding of honey. What would you recomendas a feeding doseage and schedual? I have some Biker Bros who chuckle at home brew, I'd like to give something that will sneekup.

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey gnome,

Use This to calculate how much honey is needed to reach the target A.B.V.

Contrary to popular belief, not all mead needs to age for an extended period of time to be very palletable, though nutrients and temp are factors in how soon a mead is pleasurable to drink after fermentation.

Dmntd

gnome

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2006
Ok, so I pasteurized 2lbs.more of flag honey, cooled added 2tsp of nutrient, shook vigorously for five minutes. hydro reading before addition was 1.040 @76 deg. after addition and stirring was 1.048 @ 76 deg. Not sure how to get THE Calculator to work, but it seems that this mornings effort will gain maybe 1% ABV. Maybe I'll just run this batch and try a sack recipe next time.

gnome

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2006
Healthy, hungry yeasties, 1 to 2 burps per sec this morning.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns