• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

California State Fair and Orange County Fair 2006

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Howdy Everybody!

After a very long moratorium on entering competitions I decided to enter two of my meads in the 2006 Orange County Fair, and the 2006 California State fair as a reality check. Over time we can get very focused on what we like and objectivity seems to fade when we're drinking our own product.

Like I said this was a reality check in the real world away from Gotmead, the SCA, and my own little world where I think I know what the hell I'm doing. I wanted feed back from people from a beer judging perspective because I've received favorable feedback from other mead makers and wine makers on my meads and wines, but haven't really had the opportunity to see what the beer crowd thought.

I was very surprised and thrilled when I got the following results back this week from the OC and State Fair Judging Committees:

California State Fair 2006 Homebrew results

Best of Show - Peter Bakulich, for a Traditional Mead, Sweet Mead

1st Peter Bakulich Traditional Mead Sweet Mead-Oaked Orange Blossom
3rd Peter Bakulich Other Mead Open Dry Still Standard-Oaked New Year Cyser

Orange County Fair 2006 Homebrew results:
1st Peter Bakulich - 624 Traditional Mead C - Sweet Mead-Un-oaked traditional sweet mead
3rd Peter Bakulich - 625 Melomel (Fruit Mead) C - Other Fruit Melomel-Oaked Mutiny on the Bounty Cyser

I didn't know what to expect, but needless to say I'm out of my mind happy with the results. Four different meads, four medals and a best of show. I'm takin that one to the grave with me!

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Oskaar said:
I was very surprised and thrilled when I got the following results back this week from the OC and State Fair Judging Committees:

California State Fair 2006 Homebrew results

Best of Show - Peter Bakulich, for a Traditional Mead, Sweet Mead

1st Peter Bakulich Traditional Mead Sweet Mead-Oaked Orange Blossom

Was that your 2005 Oak aged Sweet Mead? I told you I thought if you had entered it it was worthy of Best of Show, and now I see The California State Fair Agrees. ;D
Again, thanks so much for sharing that delightful mead with me, and...

Congratulations Dude!!!

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Congrats dude, that’s insanely cool, I don’t even know what else to say except...what was the recipe for that Sweet Mead-Oaked Orange Blossom again?

I wish there were mead related hallmark cards for occasions like this!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Oskaar,

Fantabulous! Now remember that all-important rule: share, share -- that's fair!

(Get it? 'Cause you entered them in a couple of fairs? Do ya get it? Fairs? Do you get it? You don't get it.)

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I got it...I got it...I don't got it. ??? LOL

Seriously though, I have a LARGE quantity of this stuff going now. It seems to be the big four that I make mostly. I love making trads because they're so freakin challenging and so unforgiving if your techniques aren't just right.

Anyhow, more on the queue coming up.

Cheers,

Oskaar

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
Looks like your ability to hoarde honey is only surpassed by your ability horde medals. :)

Congrats!

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Way to go man! That is awesome, not just for you, but for all of us out here learning from you and your methods.

Congratulations!!!

Angus

Recipe perhaps in the Patrons only section?

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Dude, you know I've been doing the Mead Happy Dance for you these last several days. 'Course, there was never a doubt in my mind you'd clean up, LOL. I've *had* that mead, and it would have been a surprise if it *didn't* take a prize.....

So, I should be watching the mail for a bottle, right? ::ducking::

Once I get the new recipe software up and running (waiting on a modification), we'll put it in the Prize Winning Meads section along with all the prize winners I have stashed to load when its done......

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
The recipe for the 2006 CA State Fair BOS winner has been posted in the patrons section under recipes.

Cheers,

Oskaar

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
Nice recipe!

I need to find a nice orange blossum honey and can't wait to try it out.

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Ditto.

I am drooling thinking about it. Most definitely good things come to those who wait. Patience is key, at least that is what I am telling myself…

Oskaar,
Seriously, thanks for posting these recipes so we can all learn from you and give a try at an award winning recipe!!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Also just posted my 1st Place 2006 OC Fair Un-Oaked Traditional Sweet Mead Recipe in the patrons section.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Here's my suggested label for Oskaarz Precious Oak aged Sweet Mead...

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Anyone other than me not seeing a pic. I have my security wound down pretty tight so it might be my settings.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Oskaar,
I expect it will be back up soon, it's the same server I always use and generally very reliable. They have gone to document storage as well... growing pains? ??? I think you'll like it, a self portrait suitable for all occasions, unless it's a lunch with idle copyright lawyers.
Here's an alternate link...

OskaarzPrecious.jpg

Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns