• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Site Spam and reporting messages from Gotmead.com

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hi gang,

Yesterday we received a site spam, which a number of you kindly reported to me. I had also received it, and as soon as I got it, I dumped the user that created it. Thanks for the heads up.

I sent a global email out to all members notifying y'all that I had stopped the spammer.

So, one of you reported *me* as one to my ISP. One more, and I get fined heavily. One after that, and Gotmead.com is *OFFLINE*. Frankly, I get fined, and Gotmead is offline anyway, I can't afford to pay fines.

If you reported the *E-mail message* you got about getting a *personal message* on the forum, you reported *me*, not the spammer. I'd like to think that is what happened.

If you don't want to receive the 3-4 times yearly mass messages I send out to members when site issues occur, then please delete your registration, or email me to have it done.

Gotmead.com does not, nor will it ever send unsolicited mail of any kind. Everyone here registered of their own free will, and is free to unregister if they wish to never receive email from the site.

I am copying this to PM's so whoever reported me has the option to reply privately. I have asked my ISP to provide me with the email addy of the person who reported me so I can remove them from the system, since they obviously do not wish to be here.

Along the same lines, if you have never verified your account (required for it to be activated), I will be removing all unverified accounts in the system, in hopes of preventing this. You will need to re-register and re-verify to have an account on Gotmead.

If I get another notification that someone reported me, I'll be forced to remove users who haven't logged into the system in an extended period to try to minimize the chance that a legitimate email from Gotmead.com gets reported.

Again, no spam or unsolicited email will ever be sent from Gotmead.com. If you are a registered member, you may receive the occasional announcement when the system has had problems.
If you do not wish to ever receive email from Gotmead.com, please feel free to remove your registration from Gotmead.com.

Vicky

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Sorry to hear this -- a single complaint puts you in the hole for a heavy fine? Sounds like you've got a Machivilian ISP provider.

The rest of us deeply appreciate all the hard work you've put in over the years to provide this web site.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
No, the *2nd* complaint does. I get a warning the first one. However, I think we're in the clear, because I went and talked to the ISP, and the data they sent shows me that the report was from a user here that reported the *spam* to my ISP, not realizing that GM wasn't responsible. I've PM'd the user, and hope to hear a positive response soon.

Honestly, I'm *happy* to be on an ISP that has Zero Tolerance for spam. That is part of what keeps it low around here......

Vicky

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Vicky - GM Webmistress said:
However, I think we're in the clear, because I went and talked to the ISP

I'm glad your ISP is willing to listen to the circumstances that led to the complaint before committing itself to a destructive course of action for the legitimate sites it hosts. I suspect an honest an open dialog with your provider will keep you in the clear of any fines or shut downs. If they cannot accept that you are not behind the infractions, or are willing to fine you anyway... then it is time for a new host. Glad to hear it's worked out well in this instance... see if you can get them to remove this from your record, and let them know the actions by this user is something you will not tolerate either.
Thanks for all your hard work Vicky, and remember if your ever spammed for Redhead Pron save the link for Oskaar before you wipe it from the forum. >:D Come to think of it that might be a bigger problem, you might lose your lead Moderator for days at a time. ;) :p ;D

Wrathwilde

Kwatt

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2006
I use Hotmail and have had the same account for apx. 10 years.
After reading this I checked my email and the email you sent had been filtered as Junk Mail. I did NOT sent GotMead as junk MSN did that. I have now added GotMead to the "safe" list.

I hope that my account is not the one that reported GotMead as a spammer.

If it was you may have your ISP contact me and I will explain to them what happened.

Greg

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Kwatt,

It was not you that reported gotmead as a spammer. The member has been contacted, and we're awaiting a reply.

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
And I've deleted the spammer's account, banned his IP address so he can't even access the site, and reported him to Yahoo and his ISP. I did some research, and think we can get him. He seems to be registered at Hawaii Telecom. If they do nothing, I'll just ban the whole company. That stuff was *icky*.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns