• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My First batch, exciting... yet messy.

Barrel Char Wood Products

CyberPope

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 4, 2006
Well, I've been lurking around for a little while now, gathering intel and such needed to make my first batch...

I noticed that most people seemed to think that JAO was the way to go with a first batch so I went ahead and went that route.

I used a little over 3 pounds of buckwheat honey for the batch and in no time it was bubbling very frequently. 1 blip a second or so..

I got a little concerned when I went down before bed to check on it and the foam had found its way almost to the very top of the neck just about to reach the airlock. I checked on it when I got up this morning and sure enough, I've managed to over flow. The airlock is a syrupy mess as is the area around my batch... :mad:

I took the educated approach and looked around this morning in the NewBees section as I knew I could not be the only one to ever have this happen, and decided to see what the best route would be to help reduce this problem... looks like I'll take Oskaar's sanitized cloth route. Until the foam is a little more under control.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you all. It has been most enjoyable reading your posts and figured this'd be a good time to make one of my own.

Peace

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Welcome CP!

Ah, the joys of fouled and popped air locks! No you are not alone. I find that certain honies seem to foam more than others. I had a favorite honey supplier that sold in our local mega-grocery chain. (note the past tense there - the mega chain found a cheaper place to buy honey...cheaper not better.) His honey always foamed like mad. The other honies I've used hardly foamed at all - a clue that they are super processed stuff.

I recently found my original supplier again, so I'll be back to buying it in 60# containers directly from him.

Make sure you leave some head space. I've found that sometimes it is a good idea to mix up a full batch of must and draw off what I need to keep it from overflowing. The extra I draw off before adding the yeast, and I'll store that in the fridge for several days until the foaming calms down. Then you can top it off with the extra must.

David

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Try setting the carboy in a rubbermaid or, a large baking pan so that when you have an overflow it's a lot less mess to clean up. I've only made mead in gallon jugs so far but the same thing would apply for larger carboys. I use two large plastic pans. I lost about a cup out one of my jugs the other night. Rinsed out the pan, put it back under the carboy, cleaned my airlock, and I was good to go. :)
Tarot.

CyberPope

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 4, 2006
Muirghein Tarot said:
Try setting the carboy in a rubbermaid or, a large baking pan so that when you have an overflow it's a lot less mess to clean up.

Thanks for the advice I'll definately take it on my next batch.

It seems that now that the yeast have had some quality time with the honey the liquid it a little thinner and thus less foamy... I put an airlock on last night and everything seems to going according to plan again.

I was really thankful for getting the 3 piece airlock instead of the one piece. Seemed like the mess was much easier to clean.

If anything else exciting happens I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop.

Thanks for your responses and input.

Peace

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I use the rubbermaid roughneck 18 gallon tubs. The 6.5 gallon carboys sit at about shoulder level, and when the weather gets hot, you can fill them with water to keep the mead cool while aging. It's also a very convinient way to drag the things around or move them about without having to worry about losing your grip.

See here for a photo of one of mine.

Cheers,

Oskaar

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
I'm in fire ant country, so I like putting my brews in pots (or big rubbermaids if I start more than one a time) with a little soapy water in them until the hard core fermenting is done. Keeps the ants off and makes clean up a little easier if I do have a blow up. :)

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
You can also use a blow off tube in place of the standard airlock. They're easy to make -- cut the working parts off an airlock, leaving just the plastic tube that gets jammed into the stopper. Attach a food grade vinyl hose to the plastic tube, then run the other end into a glass jar full of sulfite solution. I like to use old honey jars, poking a hole in the metal lid and running the hose through that.

It's a good way to manage a fermenting honey must that starts foaming up unexpectedly.

CyberPope

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 4, 2006
Dan McFeeley said:
You can also use a blow off tube in place of the standard airlock. They're easy to make -- cut the working parts off an airlock, leaving just the plastic tube that gets jammed into the stopper. Attach a food grade vinyl hose to the plastic tube, then run the other end into a glass jar full of sulfite solution. I like to use old honey jars, poking a hole in the metal lid and running the hose through that.

It's a good way to manage a fermenting honey must that starts foaming up unexpectedly.

That is a really clever way to handle that. Thanks for the advice!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns