• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JOA lag time

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
I pitched the dried yeast about 4 hours ago and still no signs of activity. The gallon jug is sitting in a fermentation fridge set to 70f. It's almost 8pm here now - should I pitch another tsp of yeast before I go to bed if I don't see any activity or just relax and leave it alone and wait until tomorrow?

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
Ok, I'll leave it alone. Joe just mentions activity within the first 1-3 hours. I appreciate the fast response - I'll check it again in the morning.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Fleishmann's bread yeast is usually a very fast starter. I've had it producing CO2 within 10 minutes sometimes.

Seventy degrees is actually low for this yeast. Eighty to ninety degrees is more its range. If you still don't see much action by the morning, consider putting it somewhere a bit warmer. If that doesn't help, then go ahead and repitch -- but DON'T use the same batch of yeast as before, in case it's bad. Buy new, and watch the expiration date to be sure it's fresh (bread yeasts sometimes sit on the shelves for a while).

Let us know how it goes, okay?

-David

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
lostnbronx said:
Fleishmann's bread yeast is usually a very fast starter. I've had it producing CO2 within 10 minutes sometimes.

Seventy degrees is actually low for this yeast. Eighty to ninety degrees is more its range

Hmm... ok, I'll take it out of the fridge and leave it in the spare room (~78) tonight before I go to bed. I took another look and there is positive airlock pressure but little to no bubbling as of 1 hour ago.

The yeast was not expired and kept at room temp. If I don't see activity by tomorrow, I'll pitch from another packet of yeast. Thanks!

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
Roughly ~24 hours later the airlock has 3 second blips. I don't see a whole lot of foam but there is definitely activity. The fermentation fridge is set to 76d. I figure thats perfect room temp. It seems to have picked up a little steam since this morning so I'll report back tomorrow on how things are going.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns