Thread: Stabilizing my mead cause a haze?

Default Stabilizing my mead cause a haze?

As of a week ago I haed a beautiful crystal clear golden colored mead. Which I had thought about backsweetening. So I racked it onto 1 1/4 tsp of postassium sorbate and 2 campden tabs crushed, all dissolved in some water. Now my beautiful mead is cloudy. I put it in the fridge for a few days and just pulled it out and it is still cloudy. I don't typically add these chemicals at the end of a fermented mead. The few times that I have, I didn't have this problem. So I don't know what know I really don't want to fine and I don't have a filter so I guess I just wait. I was hoping to send this to the Valahlla, so I have sometime to play with it.
    What went wrong?

Default Re: Stabilizing my mead cause a haze?

Backsweetening can do that, even when it's only a little bit of honey.

With time, the alcohol level in the mead may be sufficient to denature the colloidal stuff and it'll drop clear.

<><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

Oh yeah that is expected Dan. Which is why I am still sitting on the sidelines about back sweetening this mead. As of yet I have added nothing but the sorbate and the campden tabs. In fact during that initial racking I decided that I was probably just going to leave the mead alone.

Thought I would update this in case anyone else ran across this same problem.
    This mead ended up dropping clear again. It took a while but it is clear.
    Time is always on your side while making mead.