Thread: JOA lag time

1. Default JOA lag time

I pitched the dried yeast about 4 hours ago and still no signs of activity. The gallon jug is sitting in a fermentation fridge set to 70f. It's almost 8pm here now - should I pitch another tsp of yeast before I go to bed if I don't see any activity or just relax and leave it alone and wait until tomorrow?

Default Re: JOA lag time

If you followd the recipe to the 'T', you should see active fermentation by the time you wake up tomorrow .....

3. Default Re: JOA lag time

Ok, I'll leave it alone. Joe just mentions activity within the first 1-3 hours. I appreciate the fast response - I'll check it again in the morning.

Default Re: JOA lag time

Fleishmann's bread yeast is usually a very fast starter. I've had it producing CO2 within 10 minutes sometimes.

Seventy degrees is actually low for this yeast. Eighty to ninety degrees is more its range. If you still don't see much action by the morning, consider putting it somewhere a bit warmer. If that doesn't help, then go ahead and repitch -- but DON'T use the same batch of yeast as before, in case it's bad. Buy new, and watch the expiration date to be sure it's fresh (bread yeasts sometimes sit on the shelves for a while).

Let us know how it goes, okay?

-David

5. Default Re: JOA lag time

Quote Originally Posted by lostnbronx
    Fleishmann's bread yeast is usually a very fast starter. I've had it producing CO2 within 10 minutes sometimes.

Seventy degrees is actually low for this yeast. Eighty to ninety degrees is more its range
    Hmm... ok, I'll take it out of the fridge and leave it in the spare room (~7 tonight before I go to bed. I took another look and there is positive airlock pressure but little to no bubbling as of 1 hour ago.

The yeast was not expired and kept at room temp. If I don't see activity by tomorrow, I'll pitch from another packet of yeast. Thanks!

6. Default Re: JOA lag time

Roughly ~24 hours later the airlock has 3 second blips. I don't see a whole lot of foam but there is definitely activity. The fermentation fridge is set to 76d. I figure thats perfect room temp. It seems to have picked up a little steam since this morning so I'll report back tomorrow on how things are going.