• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

ALL READ: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - We need funding

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK folks, those of you who read, but haven't yet become patrons, I'm issuing a challenge.

I need $600 for the next round of hosting, and for software to automate some of the admin aspects of the site so I can free up some time to work on site content, and I need it by the end of September. Thats 2 weeks.

That means I need 24 new subscribers in the next 2 weeks. I'll put up a counter to clock 'em down.

Those of you that have *already* subscribed, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Some of you are old-timers, and some of you are total newbies. All y'all are heroes to me.

Those of you that spend your time here, but haven't contributed yet: The site needs funding. I don't have a regular income, and can't foot it all myself. A site this large takes lots of time and money to operate. Time to pony up, folks. To cover the costs of this site, I ideally need around 2,000 subscribers, which I hope someday to reach. But right now, the site needs funds.

Thanks to the following for their contributions, both monetary and manual labor-wise. Words cannot express my gratitude:

JamesP
The Honey Farmer
greenblood
Scott Horner
hedgehog
mouko_yamamoto
wrathwilde
mcfeeley
stevet
jaysbrew
mynx
mainedruid
angus
jab
Holiday
matt_maples
byathread
Miriam
mikespens
darkstar
David Baldwin
neadmead
memento
BrewBoy
Oskaar
lugh
kace069
richard lambert
winethief
EllenK
sokushi
onwardtothestars
storm1969
c0bra
beeman
yabodie
pearlheartgtr
wjohnson0013
mazerrob
GrantLee63
jmattioli
insanity
Yarmur
safiyayaya
dalburns1
jayh
pyrofx
Wolfie
Chesley
Malachai
Pamela
MSTazs
seeGarzz
Little Mick
tyrithe
alden
ucflumberjack
Pewter of Deodar
Tsuchi
Leonora

Y'all rock, and thanks again for your Patronage!

Vicky - preparing to spend the night working on programming

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - First Responder!

:wav:

A BIG HAND for Cargirl, who was the first person to respond to the Subscriber Challenge!!!!!!!

Ha! 80% of the posters here are big, tough guys, and a *girl* is first out of the gate. So, the rest of you guys gonna let that go by?

The count will be updated in the subscription box in the right column :laughing4: and kudos given here to those who respond.

:::::::::::::::CHICK POWER!!!!!!!!::::::::::::::::::

Vicky - thanks, sister. You rock!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
::drum roll::
:icon_thumright:

Please welcome Ibiduin to the ranks of Patron! Thanks, dude, I appreciate it!

Vicky - creating a pool hall site

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Vicky,
I Figured it was time to renew, since it was right around last years Pennsic that I got the Subscription/Donation bandwagon rolling. I'm now on the automatic renewal bandwagon.

Wrathwilde

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Re: ALL READ: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - Another subscriber!!!!

:icon_salut:
..........And the crowd goes Wilde....Wrathwilde, that is. Wrath *extended* his subscription another year!

Thanks sweetie! You rock my world!

Vicky - re-programming Zen cart....

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
WELCOME NEW PATRONS!!!!

I personally thank you for your help!

Gotmead.com has imporved my meads 10 fold, along with the great commradier here. Your investment in this site is appreciated by all the other patrons and those who come here to learn about mead. You are helping to spread the word of this one time nearly extinct drink with its vast historical influnece. You are helping keep history alive!

The webmistress runs the best forum on the web.

Not everyone sees this site or has even heard of mead. I love my GM gear. Everytime I wear it I get to educate someone about this important part of history. Get some gear and enlighten the off line world.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
:notworthy:

Thank you Recluse for signing up as a patron! Welcome to the ranks, and have fun with the new toys!!!

The User Home Pages function for Patrons comes up later this month, the latest in the Patron Privledges.

Vicky - operating on 3 hours sleep

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
UPDATE: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - Keep it going!

:notworthy: Thanks to several generous folks, we're 1/6 of the way to our funding goal to pay the hosting for the next 6 months, and put some automation software on the backend to free up time for expanding the site.

:toothy9: If you really want to impress me, enough of you subscribe to cover *a whole year* of hosting, which would bring the funding goal to $900.

We're at just a hair over $100.

:sad11: Please, if you read here, lurk here, post here, or spend more than 2 days a month here, then help support the site you spend your time on. Over 60 of you have, and stand high in my estimation because of it.

:nono: What about the rest of you? Think there's a free lunch?

This place is a money pit, and 1,000's of hours a year go into making it so you can play. Take pity on the programmer and help me stop having to pay for it out of my home budget.

So c'mon - support the site. You're here anyway, whether you're posting or just lurking. Dontcha think that merits a mere $25/year?

Vicky - pushing, 'cause I don't have the money to do it and the family threatened me if I take it from the house budget *again*

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Time for me to chime in....

Take a peek at the Members list. Check out your member name. How many posts do you have? If it is over 100, and you have not become a paid Patron yet, don't you think you should? Come on, join us happy members. It's worth it!

Angus

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
I would almost drop it down to 50 posts. Honestly, if folks have used the mead calculator, asked a few questions and have gathered a shred of info from this site to improve their mead, sign up.

$25 bucks is very little if you really think about it.

Besides once you sign up you can see what Oskaar did to win BOS at the CA state fair with his mead!!

Come on, you know you want to know… :headbang: :headbang:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Pewter, please don't make off-topic comments in this thread. This is for fundraising, not speculations on someone's love life.

On topic, there are *57* people with over 50 posts who have not yet subscribed. I won't list them (though I have a list), you can see it in your own post count.

You valued the place enough to post that many times. Please consider supporting the site you post in and read.

If you haven't gotten any value, then why are you here? If you have, then please support the site and the resources required to maintain it.

Am I pushy? Yep, I've a couple grand in site costs on my American Express card, and its 30 days overdue. Hosting comes up in a month. If I don't pay Amex, they'll come get me, and the site goes bye-bye.

I had hoped that putting up lots of great patron benefits would help, but apparently that isn't an incentive to lay out just over $2.00 per month.

This site makes about $1500/*YEAR*. It *COSTS* over $10,000, and that figure increases every year (that doesn't include me getting one thin dime). At the rate we're growing I'll have to move us to a dedicated server next year, which increases our hosting about 500%.

Do the math.

Vicky - they don't pay me enough to do this job (oh, right, they don't pay me *at all*)

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
UPDATE: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - BONUS OFFER!!!!!

As an added bonus/incentive to encourage you to sign up between now and midnight, EST September 30, we offer the following bonuses:

• All Subscribers for this period will get a free copy of 'The Mead of St. Winston', a meadly work of fiction by our own Miriam Kresh
  • Your name will be drawn from a hat October 1 to get a free hour of consultation with Oskaar on meadmaking/winemaking/beermaking/name your poison, at Oskaar's expense

....so step up and see if you can win input from Oskaar.

Those of you who *have* had the opportunity to talk with Oskaar on meadmaking, don't you think it would be a valuable hour? I know it helps *me*.......

Yarmur

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 3, 2006
Vicky,

Just wanted to let ya know that I just sent you two 25.00 donations through Amazon. Don't extend my subscription as I will renew next year when due. Thanks for all of your hard work and personal money spent here, hopefully the 50.00 will help you reach your goal.

Yarmur

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Vicky,
I just did the same as Yarmur, except through Pay Pal. Maybe the other Patrons can pony up to the bar and make a donation as well...

Come on folks, help out...

:cheers:

Yabodie

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
:notworthy:

What a sweet surprise after being offline all day! Thanks Yarmur & Yabodie! You guys rock!

Thanks also to Sander, Cyberpope, and Boyd's Cardinal Hollow Winery Corp for becoming subscribers today!

We're getting there.....thanks all of you!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Happy Citizenship Day. :usa2: Amazon should be forwarding along your gift soon.

Hopefully the USPS will find NC, and my check will be there soon too. I sent it in August... :BangHead:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Found it! It must've come this weekend sometime. I'm upgrading you now, hon.

Please welcome akueck to the ranks of Patron!!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns