Thread: Green Tint

1. Default Green Tint

As my mead was fermenting away everything looked OK, but as the yeast settled and I transfered to second I noticed a green tint to it. Is that normal for some honey varities? I didn't notice any kind of tint in the honey I'm useing which is Lehua. It comes from the trees that are the first to start to grow on the lava bed of Big Island in Hawaii. Well maybe some color will be extracted from the vanilla beans and true cinnamon sticks I to help hide it. That is if something hasn't gone wrong with it.
    link to more info on Lehua Honey
    http://www.smithfarms.com/honey.asp

Default Re: Green Tint

Does the glass in your cayboy have some tint to it?
    One of mine has a slight but noticable greenish tint.

3. Default Re: Green Tint

I checked the mead itself, got the slurry in a mason jar in refig. to get every last drop of goodness. Just waitting for the yeast to drop. Seeing alittle of a green tint in there too.

4. Default Re: Green Tint

I looked up your old posts and am guessing this is the batch you are talking about. Please post up the correct batch if it's different than this one.
    http://tinyurl.com/lgz7p

Has the mead totally cleared? Is it green as a solution or have green floaties. Is it green thoughout or concentrated in areas? And how green? Like a green jolly rancher?

I remember drinkng a beer at a bar. It looked greenish but it wasn't St. patricks day. I had the waitress check out the taps and all - but further investigation revealed the lighting (from a green neon sign behind my seat) made my beer look green.

Tupelo honey has been known to have a greenish tint, although I couldn't find similar descriptions for Lehua honey on a quick Google search.

More than likely it's nothing to worry about. So long as the mead looks and tastes ok on final clearing and bottling, it should be fine.

<><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

6. Default Re: Green Tint

Well it's a very slight green, not jolly rancher green, maybe half as bright as one troughout. I couldn't see any green when the yeast was in supension, but as it's clearing(almost can read through it) the color is more there.

The taste is great so far just alittle hot, but that'll age out. The color will be hard to explain to SWMBO and others, so I'm hoping the vanilla will brown it alittle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcheflove
    Well it's a very slight green, not jolly rancher green, maybe half as bright as one troughout. I couldn't see any green when the yeast was in supension, but as it's clearing(almost can read through it) the color is more there.

The taste is great so far just alittle hot, but that'll age out. The color will be hard to explain to SWMBO and others, so I'm hoping the vanilla will brown it alittle.
    Don't worry about the appearance. Turn the lights down low, do all the other things necessary to make for a romantic setting for SWMBO, let her take a sip, and the color won't make any difference at all.

It's the taste of mead that makes all the difference!

<><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

8. Default Re: Green Tint

IMHO

Age for six months

Serve on St Patrick's day

Tsuchi

I've had greenish honey from the Purple Loosestrife plant in Pennsylvania. Another greenish honey can come from Tuip Popular trees. Seems you have discovered a unique honey source so enjoy it.