Thread: International shipping

1. Default International shipping

I am from Santiago de Chile and i would like to know who can send me some bottles of mead. is there any store or meadery that can do an international shipping?.
    thanks

Default Re: International shipping

Unfortunately, mead makers/businesses can't ship out of the country directly.
    You have to go through a licensed Importer (A lot of paperwork in Chile and some money for licenses). If you find an importer, there are taxes to be paid on the item, 27% import tax, and 19% value added tax on alcoholic beverages. The importer then sells the item to a distributer (sometimes the importer also is the distributer ). The distributer then sells it to a retailer, who then sells it to you.
    http://www.ttb.gov/itd/chile.shtml

Chile is a huge wine exporter, but the US doesn't ship a lot to Chile. In 2001, U.S. wine exports to Chile totaled $338,000, while Chile was the United States’ fourth largest wine supplier, with sales of $137 million.
    http://www.fas.usda.gov/info/factshe...leFTA/wine.htm

My thoughts - try making your own, it easy! Or ask some of the wine distributers in your area if they have access to mead. Or even better, ask some of the vinyards to make mead alongside their wine.