• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Very Productive Weekend

Barrel Char Wood Products

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Hmmmmmmm .... let's see ....

Friday 09/29: PM - Went to Comerica Park to see the Detroit Tigers lose their second in a row to the KC Royals.

Saturday 09/30: AM - Made a 6 gallon batch of Joe's No-Age Pyment PM - Bottled 39 Grolsch bottles with the Fat Tyre Amber Ale Clone I made on September 16. Also made a 5.50 gallon batch of an AG Oatmeal Stout and shared 9 Grolsch bottles of JoeM's Basic Braggot with my two 'helpers'. Watched the Detroit Tigers lose their third in a row to the KC Royals on TV.

Sunday 10/01: AM - Chatted with Oskaar who gave me some VERY GOOD advice for about 30 minutes in the Chat Room and racked my Blue-On-Blue blueberry mead. PM - Made a 6.50 gallon of a Pear Pyment - see Brewlog for details, and watched the Detroit Tigers lose their fourth game in a row to the KC Royals on TV.

Overall a Very Productive Weekend! :drunken_smilie:

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
How did you like the braggot? I'm guessing that if you drank 9 bottles that it couldnt have been too bad ;)

Recluse

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2006
I'll be very interested in hearing about your experience with Joe's Quick Pyment. My gallon batch was bone dry in a week. Racked, backsweetened and stabilized and sitting in the carboy till it tastes good enough to bottle. Still a little thin and acidic tasting, but very clear and smoothing out a bit. Might add more juice/honey as it is still only about SG=1.003

Recluse

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
JoeM - Collectively, the three of us thought your braggot was ... well ... AWESOME! I can only imagine what it will taste like when it is 6 and 12 months old - IF it actually lasts that long!!! Now that I'm into AG brewing, my next braggot will be an AG recipe. You don't happen to have an AG version of yours by any chance .... do you?

Recluse - I'll keep you posted. Although I've made 3 batches of Joe's No-Age Sweet Mead, this is my first Quick Pyment. I realize this recipe is meant to be quick and easy, but I've been toying around with the idea of oaking it for 3 weeks or so after stabilizing and back-sweetening to add some additional complexity. Stay tuned .....

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Recluse - I use this to degas after treating with sorbate and metabisulphate:

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=degas

I think the 'problem' you had was nothing more than residual CO2 suspended in the mead, but hey ... I'm really just a newbee at this stuff!

With that being said, I did take my third batch drier and let it bulk-age a bit before bottling. I - as well as my family - thought it was the best of the Quick-Meads so far. Here is the recipe/procedure copied out of my Brewlog:

(Batch 10) 07/02/2006 – Another Joe’s No-Age Sweet Mead!

Again, because EVERYONE in my family really liked this stuff (including me), I decided to make a 3rd batch – 6 gallons this time. I followed the same procedure as my first two with the following subtle changes:

• 13 pounds 2 ounces of Gordon’s Clover Honey
• 2 pounds 10 ounces of Buckwheat Honey from AIHB
• 3 ½ teaspoons of Chestnut Tannin (instead of Grape Tannin)
• 1 teaspoon of Fermaid K
• 25 grams of K1V-1116

Here is the process I used this time:

1. Put yeast in a glass beaker with 105 degree water to the 1000 ml point and used my newly acquired magnetic stirrer to stir the yeast.
2. Added honey and hot tap water to the 5 gallon point of my plastic 6.9 gallon fermenter pail.
3. Stirred must with my lees stirrer and drill motor.
4. Brought water level up to the 6 gallon mark with cold tap water.
5. Took an opening reading = 23 Brix or approximately 1.100 SG
6. Pitched yeast which was being stirred for about 40 minutes.
7. Agitated again with my lees stirrer.
8. Installed cover and airlock and brought downstairs.

Five hours after beginning, about 100 bubbles per minute are coming out of the airlock! Whoaaaaaahhhh! This one is off to a GREAT start ( I’ll credit my new mag stirrer ….. )

07/03/2006 – AM - The airlock was blown out of the grommet so I assume fermentation was pretty damn good! Aerated the must with my lees stirrer for about 5 minutes. Everything looks – and smells – great! Did the same in the evening.

07/04/2006 – Aerated the must for about 5 minutes in the AM and PM.

07/05/2006 – Ditto – Aerated for the last time both in the morning and evening. I’m planning on using this plastic fermenter throughout the primary, then sorbating and racking when the SG gets down to about 1.005 – or – 2.5 Brix. Took a Brix reading this evening and got Brix = 17.8 or 1.075 SG.

07/09/2006 – Aeration down to 30 bubbles per minute. Took a SG reading = 13.7 Brix, or 1.055 SG.

07/15/2006 – Took a Brix reading = 12.6 or 1.050 SG. Checked with my Hygrometer and got 1.030 ! I need to review whether or not my Brix meter is properly calibrated or not; I need to get some distilled water. Stay tuned ….. Distilled H2O reading ‘0’ …..

08/06/2006 – Got a 1.000 to 1.070 hydrometer and took a reading – 1.005! I don’t know what is going on relative to my other hydrometer and Brix meters, but I’m using this one. Added 1 teaspoon of Sodium Bimetasulphate and 3 teaspoons of Potassium Sorbate to end fermentation and stabilize. De-gassed using my lees stirrer and dissolved the chemicals before racking into a 6 ½ gallon carboy. Going to bulk age this one at least four weeks before bottling.

08/17/2006 – This mead cleared very nicely with about an inch of lees on the bottom. Took a taste and this is definitely the BEST of the Quick Meads I’ve made so far. I’m sure another month or so of bulk aging on the lees is going to make this one GREAT!

08/31/2006 – Racked mead into a 5 gallon carboy and 1 gallon jug with the intentions of bottling this mead over the weekend. Unfortunately, I accidentally stirred up a LOT of lees so it looks like it will be sitting for awhile until it clears. Stay tuned …..

09/07/2006 – Mead cleared nicely. I did not have the time to bottle so I siphoned the mead out of the 1 gallon jug and transferred to another jug for consumption tomorrow with my Brother. This is the best quick mead I’ve made so far. FG = 9.5 Brix / 1.035 SG or 1.005 SG using my expensive 'finishing' hydrometer. I'll go with the latter.

09/08/2006 – Drank the entire almost-filled gallon jug with my family this evening. Again, this is – by far – the finest Quick Mead I’ve made thus far. GOOD SH!T!

09/09/2006 – Bottled 24 bottles using my Enolmatic with 1 micron filter canister. Had enough in the filter canister and overflow canister to drink and ‘catch a nice buzz.’ Need to mow the lawn now! ANOTHER VERY SUCESSFUL BATCH

- GL63

Recluse

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks for the Brewlog! I'll let it sit and clear some more. Just had a taste and it is getting better..but still quite fizzy. Tastes pretty much as sweet as it did at racking, so there can't be much fermentation still going on. Maybe I will try another racking with a degassing.

Keep me posted on the Pyment!

Recluse

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Will do Recluse!

By the way JoeM, I forgot that BeerSmith will convert a partial mash or extract recipe to an AG recipe. Here is an AG version of your Basic Braggot, and the next one I make:

Basic Braggot

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/3/2006
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: GrantLee63
Boil Size: 7.03 gal Asst Brewer: GrantLee63
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): TBD Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.17 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.0 %
1.13 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 18.0 %
0.75 oz Cluster [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast (WLP002)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.031 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG Measured Final Gravity: TBD
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: TBD
Bitterness: 20.7 IBU Calories: 273 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 6.30 lb
Sparge Water: 6.07 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 7.88 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.5 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 68.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 68.0 F

Notes

Add 6 Pounds of Honey after wort is chilled and before putting it into a carboy.

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
10/13/06
-2 sections calculus
-5 gal hazelnut brown ale
-racked cyser
-drank one bottle of cyser and alot of grey goose then clacked out

10/14/06
-5 gal stout
-cleaned whole apartment(party was on 10/13)
-2 sections of calc
-review 3 sections of calc

10/15/06
-worked 10.5 hours
-reviewed 7 serctions of calc
-read "bachae"(wow)
-studied for humanistic tradition test

who needs sleep right? with i had drank 9 bottles of braggot tho......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns