• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Which Varietal to Use in Tupelo Pyment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

bdjwayne

NewBee
Registered Member
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which type of varietal grape juice would make a great pyment with Tupelo Honey and why. I am hoping for a 50/50 balance between the grape and honey, each complementing each other and overall in balance.

Yarmur

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 3, 2006
BDJWayne,

You will find very few that has used tupelo out there. It is a very good honey and those that have used it, have specifically used it in traditonals. I have been referred to Vicky as the authority on tupelo and have spoke to her. She agrees that she has not even used it enough to know all of the quirks with the honey. With that being said, you are basically forging into untried territory in a pyment using tupelo. I'm sure it has been done somewhere by someone but there is no real info out there.

I have tupelo sitting in my house for the last 2 months with 3 gallons of "Carlos" muscadine pressed juice. I just haven't found the time to throw it together and get it going. I would reccomend, and this just my own personal thoughts and not based on any scientific data, you would want to use a white variety instead of a red. I just feel that the red would overpower the flavor of the tupelo. Again, this is based off of my perception and not experience as I have a very limited grape wine tasting.

Yarmur

bdjwayne

NewBee
Registered Member
Here is a description I found on Tupelo honey from The Savannah Bee Company from 1mintjulep.com :
Tupelo's flavors arrive as a series of distinct impressions, a parade of melon, crème brulée, butter, dried pear, and a hint of wet stones. Underneath it all is an unmistakable herbaceous note, the barest hint of Southern Moss. The finish is long, lasting more than a minute before fading away entirely.
Makes my mouth water. Anyway, I guess what I would like to know is do I look for a wine that is complemantary, ie. shares a lot of the same attributes, or do I go for something that will contrast and balance, ie. something sharp and acidic etc. to balance the sweetness and other aromas. I'm thinking a Viognier will be nice fermented semi-dry with the Tupelo. It has a fruity floral profile. I haven't made a dry mead yet,so this will be interesting. Thanks for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
Not all tupelos are the same. If I were to make a tupelo pyment, I would sample the honey first and write down all my notes (aroma, flavors). Presently, I have three different types of tupelo from this year and they are widely different.

I would also visit a wine list and examine the available grape juices. (for example-selection wine kits).

As you can tell, there could be a wide range of pyment possibilities. Perhaps, an icewine pyment is intriguing. Or how about a chardonney, or use a spicy spanish varietal grape?

Keep us posted. I would like to know what this project develops into.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns