• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The *NEW* and *IMPROVED* Chat room!

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK folks, put your hands together for Oskaar, who made a grant to Gotmead to purchase fabulous new chat room software!

You can find a shoutbox in the left column where the old one was, and a WHOLE NEW CHAT ENGINE AND MULTIPLE ROOMS, WITH PM AND PRIVATE ROOM CAPABILITY!!! in the top menu.

Patrons, go check it out, and please give me feedback on tweaks, I just put it up, and haven't tweaked it much.

I am working on putting in special all-access rooms that we can use for non-patrons to attend special Ask The Experts sessions.

More new toys to come, soon's I get the durn things working......

Vicky - toiling away in my workshop......

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Vicky - As of 5:09 AM 11/28/2006, I see dialogue there from Oskaar and JamesP, but I DO NOT see a text box for me to enter any message. There is a note that says 'Login to write messages' (which I did - even though I was already logged in, I logged out then in again), there is no means for me to participate in a chat !

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Check your browser settings. What version of what browser are you running? Let me know.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
GL63,

Above the forum links and under the GM logo you'll find site links, it'll look something like this

CHAT/CLASSIFIED ADS/FAQ/REVIEWS/FIND MEAD & SUPPLIES/LINKS/RECIPES/GEAR

HOME/HELP/SEARCH/PROFILE/MEMBERS/CALENDAR/ONLINE/LOGOUT

Hope that helps, I don't have any text box at the shout out either, but if I click on chat at the top I can participate. but this site isn't Safari Mac friendly so I am getting used to not being able to access all of the site features.

Wrathwilde

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Great chat feature guys. Easy to use and friendly. Just this alone is worth the subscription fee.

Thanks Vicky and Oskaar.

Angus

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
GrantLee63 said:
Vicky - As of 5:09 AM 11/28/2006, I see dialogue there from Oskaar and JamesP, but I DO NOT see a text box for me to enter any message. There is a note that says 'Login to write messages' (which I did - even though I was already logged in, I logged out then in again), there is no means for me to participate in a chat !

Same problem here.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5

Cheers!

John

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
???

I can't seem to get to the chat.

I have cleared my cookies and re-logged in. When I click on Chat at the top of the screen, I get thanked for Registering and asked to become a Patron.

But I already am one.

I'd love to be able to chat! Any suggestions?

I run IE, Win Home XP and am a dork so make any suggestions very clear (thanks!)

Leonora

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I've had a few emails from folks that are having trouble viewing the patron features. Please make sure that you are logged in via the login box on the left. If you're having trouble, please scroll down, and make sure the login box shows you as logged in. If it doesn't, then log in there again.

Don't use the login and logout menu in the forum (green menu just above the forum, under the top menu, like the one Wrath posted. Use the login box in the left column, always.

Also, this shoutbox doesn't *have* a box that shows all the time. You need to look at the bottom of the shoutout, and you'll see a small green item that says 'Add shout'. That will create your box to type into.

I'll research this, for some reason folks are only showing as logged into the *forum*, but not the site.....

Wrath, sorry you're having issues, dude. But 99.9% of my visitors are using IE or a Mozilla-based browser, and I haven't a *clue* how to write the site so it will work both for them and the Mac Safari users....and I don't have any Macs to test on.

Vicky

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Vicky - GM Webmistress said:
Wrath, sorry you're having issues, dude. But 99.9% of my visitors are using IE or a Mozilla-based browser, and I haven't a *clue* how to write the site so it will work both for them and the Mac Safari users....and I don't have any Macs to test on.

Don't sweat it Vicky, its the the price I pay for being a mac user, but I'm cool with it.

Wrathwilde

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Yeah, I sure wish there was some way to write to *both* platforms, but if there is, *I* haven't discovered it yet.....maybe I should have 2 versions of the site, LOL.

Anyone want to donate a Mac? ::grin::

DarkStar

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2005
Lone Rock, WI
Wonder if anyone has tried out Opera for a browser on a mac, differnet code base and it can lie about itself to trick sites into thinking its mozzila or IE may fix some compatibilty problems with safari. Ive used it on windows xp and 98 and its been a good browser.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I've had problems accessing various items on GotMead using the latest versions of Safari, IE and Firefox. I think it comes down to Java Script incompatibilities. As I recall MS tweaked Java so that their version is MS specific and not a true cross platform version of Java. I think that the software for the site is probably MS centric... so that the Java code it generates isn't cross platform but adheres to Microsoft's bastardization of Sun's programing language. This would explain why none of my Browsers work correctly... as the Java code is an updateable part of OS X - and in case you're wondering the Version I'm running is supposedly 100% compatible with Sun's latest Version of Java.

Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns