Thread: Re: I believe I don't know how to use the mead calculator correctly

1. Default Re: I believe I don't know how to use the mead calculator correctly

I'm trying to become a bit more proficient with this tool. I periodically get nonsensical answers from it, but those are diminishing as I figure out what I should be asking.

However, here's one I can't seem to figure out.

A train leaves Boston at 5am... wait, wrong forum!

Let's say I want to start with 5 gallons of must, to which I've added 20 lbs of honey. The calculator tells me that gives me a SG of 1.147 and a potential ABV around 20%. Easy enough.

Now, I want to stop the fermentation at 10% ABV. Alternately, I used a yeast with 10% ABV tolerance. What will the SG be when I get there?

If I try putting 1.147 into "current SG" and 10% into ABV, it tells me my target gravity is 1.08, but it also tells me to remove 9.199 lbs of honey from my must.

Logic tells me I can probably just divide the orignal numbers it provided (1.147, 20%) by the same number (in this case 2) and arrive at a gravity of 1.0725 and ABV of 10%.

So, how do I answer this seemingly simple question? Embrace the world of negative honey, trust common sense, or.... what?

Mahalo in advance!
    Tom

Default Re: I believe I don't know how to use the mead calculator correctly

Aww, come on, you've got come up with harder questions than that!

All you need to do is enter 10 into the "Target Gravity" second text area (the one for the %ABV), then click somewhere on the form or press the tab key, and the SG will be updated to 1.080

The SG and the %ABV are linked together, so entering a value in either one will cause the other to show its associated value (just click on the form somewhere to trigger the update).