• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Re: Why doesn't sulfiting must kill yeast, too?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

Sulfites go through an evaporative dissolution in your must over a 24 our period and have integrated and settled into your must within that time. They will have been sufficiently dilluted down to a point of not inhibiting your fermentation at the end of a 24 hour period.

Why pray tell did you sulfite your blackberry juice? Was it raw and unprocessed, or were you just acting on what someone else advised?

cheers,

Oskaar

BeeAttitude

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2007

Thanks, Oskaar. The blackberry juice is actually raw pulp run through a food mill w/ a berry screen to remove the seeds. We put a few gallons of this in the freezer each August. In the past I've pasturized honey, berry juice (pulp) and water prior to fermenting. I'm trying out a new-to-me method of going no boil/no heat/no chemicals on the honey and water and then adding juice (pulp) later which I didn't want to heat. It is my understanding that raw juice even if frozen will still contain viable naturally occuring yeasts and possibly other small beasties. I used to keep my packaged dry yeasts in the freezer and didn't have any trouble with viability there, I now keep in the fridge. Any further advice would be appreciated. Always learning . . .

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

I didnt know about the 24 hour limit about sulfite. Thats good to know.

Beeattitude. Question. If the honey is going to be no heat no chemicals why use chemicals for the fruit?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

Hey BA,

I forgot to mention that you can actually rack on top of your fruit without sulfiting it if the ABV is 12% or above. It's not a money-back guarantee that you won't get an infection, but I've been doing it for years in mead, wine and beer making without problems. The only time I've really had any questionable results was with a black-cherry porter I made a couple years back and it was really questionable as to whether the fruit caused it, or one of my cellar-rat-ape-buddies that tend to show up while I'm out of the house and thieve off samples without following the stringent aseptic technique I use. It's a toss up on that one.

Anyhow, like I mentioned, as long as you're at about 12% ABV you should be golden. That way you don't have to sulfite if you don't want to.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com

Oskaar said:
...or one of my cellar-rat-ape-buddies that tend to show up while I'm out of the house

Hey Oskaar,
Time to put your foot down... let Pfredd know if he lets it happen again your going to start feeding him cat food.

Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns