Thread: Sanitizing nutrient powder.

Default Sanitizing nutrient powder.

I was just wondering if people out there are at all concerned about sanitizing their nutrient powder when adding it a few days after fermentation has started, and if so, how they're doing it.

2. Default Re: Sanitizing nutrient powder.

i get some water up to a boil then add just enough of it to a cup with the nutrients in it. usually a coffee cup. then i mix it up, cover and toss it in the freezer. i figure that if its boiling then its at least boiling temp(i think 200?) which is well over the recomended 160 for sanitizing.

i didnt used to, then i made 3 beers and two of them developed some mold. im trying to narrow down what caused my mold problem. i know it has some to do with my messy college apartment, but if im careful enough it shouldnt matter right?

3. Default Re: Sanitizing nutrient powder.

I've been storing my powders in the freezer. When I need, I take them out long enough to extract what I need with a sanitized spoon, then put them back. I figure anything that survives such abuse deserves a chance to live!

The OC

Default Re: Sanitizing nutrient powder.

I don't sanitize my nutrient. High temperature alters some of the ingredients in the Fermaid-K and Go Ferm I use so I just make sure to use good aseptic technique when extracting the amounts necessary for dosing, and sanitary storage practices.

Is it tasty . . . precious?

5. Default Re: Sanitizing nutrient powder.

Cleanliness and sanitizing is important but I think there is a diminising return on it. I dont think many contaminants will grow on dry powder.
    I keep mine in a sealed contain. Clean the measuring spoon before I use it. Apart from that I dont worry.