• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gotmead needs foreign language speakers to find mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hi folks,

In the never-ending quest to list every meadery in the world, I find myself stumped. I speak English, some Spanish, a little French, and thats pretty much it, except for swearing in Hvartski (Croatian - learned it from Oskaar).

So, I'd like to ask for volunteers who speak languages other than English, either as a native or not, to help me find meaderies worldwide.

I need the following information:

Company Name
Contact Name
Address
Province/County/State
City
Zip or Zip equivalent
Phone
Email
Web page (if they have one)

It would also be nice to have a list of their meads. Look here to see how the ones we have are laid out.

OK, here are words for mead in other languages that I know (if you know others, or find I need correcting, please let me know):

* aguamiel - Spanish mead
* balche - Mayan mind altering mead made with balche bark
* chouchen - Breton (France) mead
* hidromel - Portugese mead
* hydromel - French mead
* idromele - Italian mead
* med - Bulgarian and Ukranian
* meddeglyn or myddyglyn - Welsh spiced mead
* mede - Dutch mead
* medovina - Czech and Slovak mead
* medovukha - Russian mead
* medu - Old High German/Old Saxon/varient of Old English, Mercian and Northumbrian
* medus - Lithuanian and/or Latvian honey
* meis - Eritrean mead
* meodu - Old English, West Saxon
* met - German mead
* midus - Lithuanian mead
* miòd - Polish mead
* mjød - Danish and Norwegian mead
* mjöd - Swedish mead
* mõdu - Estonian honey beer
* nabidh - Arabic mead
* sima - Finnish mead
* t'ej - Ethiopian mead (since about 400 B.C.)
* ydromeli - Greek mead

Here are some other names for mead that I've found in my researches:

* madhu - in the Sanscrit Vedas
* nectar or ambrosia - in the Greek and Roman mythologies
* alu - Prussian for mead
* methe - Ancient Greek for mead
* mede - Frisian, and Low German
* metu or mitu - Old HIgh German
* meth - German
* melikatos - old Greek (morphed into hydromeli in present)

Thanks, and I'll hope to get folks who can help me scour the world outside the US for mead!!! Don't forget stores that have mead, and brewing supply shops outside the US.

Vicky - on a mission from the Mead Gods (with respect to the Blues Brothers)

Dahole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2006
Since it is a mission from God I can check for some in Thailand for you. I am going to be there next week. I don't speak Thai, but I do have friends there and if there are any, they should be able to help me find them. :cheers:

Reactions: TheAlchemist

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thanks Dahole!!! I haven't the first idea what 'mead' is in Thai, so if you find out, let me know so I can add it to the list!

Oh, and I should add, if you're interested in hunting down non-US meaderies and sources of mead, this can (and likely *will*) be done mostly on the internet.

So, if your Google-Fu is strong, and the Force is with you, limber up your favorite non-English language, and find us some meaderies!!

Vicky - a black belt in Google-Fu

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
These are some terms I've heard in my travels. They will probably not be familiar in the main or hinterland of Croatia, Bosnia or Slovenia, but they are terms that I have heard used on the islands of Central Dalmatia.

Medovina - Croatian, Slovenian, Bosnian
Medovina Jabucka - Cyser
Medovina Tresnjacka - Cherry Mead
Medovina Kuskovacka - Pear Mead
Medovina Orahovacka - Walnut Mead
Medovina Visnjacka - Sour Cherry Mead
Medovina od Zacin i Trava - Herbed and Spiced Mead
Medovina Sljivovacka - Plum Mead
Pelinkovacka - Mead or Rakija treated with Wormwood and other herbs
Vlahovacka - Mead or Rakija treated with secret Dalmatian herbs
Medovacka - Brandy distilled from a sweet sack mead

Ancient Greece
Ompacomel - fermented grape juice and honey (this was common with the Romans as well)
Oenomel - pure grape juice and honey
Conditum - honey mixed with wine and pepper (this is quite good)
Oxymel - made from honey, vinegar, sea salt and rainwater

Ancient Russia:
Lipez - Mead

Ancient Rome:
Muslum - Fermented grape juice and honey

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
You may (or many not) know of how insanely boring it is to be walking someone through a driver install for Vista for the bazillionth time and how much free time it gives up. My Lama-Sutra style of Google-Fu is very strong. I accept this challenge.

Reactions: TheAlchemist

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
There's an even easier way. Write to the tourist board of a foreign country and ask about availble mead sites. Chuck Wettergreen and Wout Klingens, a few years back, planned a mead tour of Brittany France using this method.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Unless these tourist boards speak English, I'm outta luck, LOL. Do they?

Vicky - woefully undereducated in foreign languages (but my daughter speaks Latin, LOL)

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
They should have someone there who speaks English -- that's what they're there for! :D

Do a google search for the individual tourist boards, and there should be info on the web site for English speakers. Or, you can see if there are tourist info resources here in the US.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Well, Vicky, I could search online for Polish mead producers if you haven't had anyone else volunteer to find more Polish meaderies, but from our experience at the IMF this year the major producers are already VERY visible here in the US. Still, I wonder if there's a way to use a reference to "the largest compendium of mead info in the world," to finagle samples from some of the smaller meaderies that may be looking to get distributor arrangements here in the US. This could be fun! :drunken_smilie:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hi Wayne!

Thanks, yes that would be very helpful. I've seen several smaller meaderies in Poland (I think I have some of them bookmarked), so I know they're out there.

I have used the power of Gotmead to finangle bottles here and there, but the trouble with the foreign meads is that there are so many laws governing obtaining them, even though I qualify as 'press' and can have them shipped to me as though I were a food critic.

Problem is, the U.S. has such idiotic laws about shipping into the U.S., especially if they don't have a distributor. I've gotten around some of that by buying a bottle of everything I find when I'm overseas (I brought back 3 cases from Great Britain), but shipping is pretty much restricted.

Vicky - who would have a *case* of Brammle liqueur if I could figure out how to get it to the States from Great Britain......

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Too bad that the restrictions are still so prohibitive. I was half hoping that things had eased up a bit in the past couple of decades since I last tried to get some mead shipped to the US from Ireland. Bummer!

Of course I'll still look for small Polish producers -- I'm happy to help out a bit, and you never know when a contact or two from places like that might come in handy!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns