• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

See the *NEW* Gotmead Front Page.....

Barrel Char Wood Products

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Something is screwy. In the center frame, text only occupies the left half, leaving a big white blank colum down the screen. Weird.

I'm running WinXP and Mozilla 1.7.8.

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I, too, have a page that is really, really tall, but only places text in the left side of the large center panel. Firefox 2.x, on both OS 10.3.9 and Windoze 2K.

Also, if I might be so presumptuous as to offer a suggestion... the place I click most often is the "show unread posts since last visit" link. It annoys me to no end that such a precious button is below the fold. Maybe that leftmost column could begin with the GOTMEAD LOGIN box?

Just a thought.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Odd. I'm seeing that page in both FF 2.x and IE 6.x on an XP system and the left articles are 80% of the middle section, and the and right hand articles in the middle take up 20%, which I finally got them to after about 2 days of messing about.

The gap *was* there early today, when I was still working out the widths, but I saw it leave once I got the widths straightened out. I'll see if I can make it do that on my systems.

I always take suggestions, Chimerix, but no, I can't move the login box above the menus, it isn't considered good layout, and flies in the face of what the average person expects to see in a website. This site is big enough without me making it *harder* to find the hundreds of articles that populate the site (y'know, the site? That thing that the forum is just a part of? LOL). I've already pushed most of the potential fund-raising links below the fold.

However, I *have* created, just for you, a menu item that will appear when you mouse over the 'Forum' menu item up top that will take you there.

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
much better, thank you very much. as always, your hard work and dedication are appreciated.

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Vicky - GM Webmistress said:
I always take suggestions, Chimerix,

-snip-

However, I *have* created, just for you, a menu item that will appear when you mouse over the 'Forum' menu item up top that will take you there.

Wow... a personal favor from the meadwench herself! I feel like I've been touched by the Pope or something!

Thank you, Vicki! May your must ferment strongly and your mead clear quickly!!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
You are most welcome, Chimerix! Thanks for giving me the idea.

Now I can't get that Robin Williams skit where he's doing Pope John Paul.....<Italian accent>humunahumana, humuna, humuna.....Play Ball!</Italian Accent>.

And my personal favorite, done by a friend of mine who plays the Archibishop of Britain when we do our 16th century re-enacting....::while making the sign of the cross, and intoning in the manner of a priest giving a benediction:: "All you Italians get off the gra-assss"

Vicky - going to bed, having done my good deed for the day

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I love the new button. Stumbled on it just now and was pleasantly surprised.

As for the widths, this browser always seems to have issues with things in columns, so it's not totally surprising. It's a government-approved version (from my lab), so that's probably the problem. ::)

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
I like that extra touch by the forums link as well. Good call Chimerix.

I'd also like to throw my thanks in for Vicky's efforts as well. :icon_thumleft:

Vicky, your continued efforts in making this site what it is today have already led to several of my desert dwelling buddies out here poking around a bit. Several of them are seriously looking at getting into mead-making as a result. I think my finding this site may have started something out here on the fringe. hehehe...

All hail the Meadwench!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:
:cheers:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thanks guys. This width thing is driving me nuts. It looks fine from this end, even with my caches cleared, and on 2 different computers using different browser versions......

::tearing my hair out::

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
::sigh:: I really gotta get more sleep. Changed my resolution, saw what you were talking about with the gaps. Try it now.......

dang relative column widths......

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
lol hahaha sexual harassment from the wench, i think hes a little old for the popes taste though....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns