• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Hive

Barrel Char Wood Products

wolf_tracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
:wave:

We have installed our first package of bees yesterday afternoon.

In pouring the bees into the hive, of course
I got stung.

It was an interesting experience.

Now when do I get my honey for more mead
:sad5:

What do you mean next summer.

:cheers:
Wolf

T

The Honey Farmer

Welcome to the wonderful world of bee keeping! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Dennis

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Wolf,

Congrats! Welcome to the Band of Beekeepers! (Sounds like a B movie title...)

Hey, you learned the very first lesson in beekeeping. Which end is the pointy one - and why you should avoid it!

They'll probably drive you crazy with worry your first year, but you will find them to be an amazing and fun hobby.

David

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Band of Beekeepers and appropriate B rated title, it should also have a cult following.

Welcome to the club! It is a great hobby. But don't kill off all your bees by letting them sting you. My mentor says I am cutting into his profit margin when I kill them like that..lol

I suggest after the queen gets settled in, to go visit your colony once a week or so. It is important to get comfortable handling them. The more comfortable you are handling a box of 60,000 bees the less likely you will be stung. Its kind of overwhleming your first year at the peak of the season.

David is right about worrying about them your first year. It will be much like your first batch of mead. Luckily the bees take care of themselves pretty well with little intervention from you.

A word of caution. I never had a problem with bee stings. But my at the beginning of my 2nd year of beekeeping, my third sting of the season caused me an allergic reaction. I just broke out into hives (no pun intended) nothing to serious. I did end up going to the ER and then seeing my family docotor. My doctor told me that it is possible to become allergic to anything at any point in your life. Several hundred bee stings later I haven't had another reaction. But the first few stings of the season keeps me on my toes. I would urge you to pick up an epipen for your first year out, until you are sure you aren't going to have a violent reaction. Also, if the bees are in your yard, you may want to keep an epipen around for an emergency, like a visitor who gets stung and has no previous allergens to bee stings. You just never know.

Good luck and have fun.

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
That's great that you have got a hive together, get use to checking them once a week or so and watch the bees entering the hive. try not to rile them up too much, if the girls are agressive one day close the hive up and check them another time. If you are worried about a allergic reaction to a sting keep some benadryl handy. My primary doctor wouldn't give me a script for an epipen, he said I needed to show an allergic reaction to a sting before he would write the script. It is a real catch 22, to get the epipen I need to have a reaction to a sting but by then it would be too late. If you want any type of honey crop the first year plan to pull what you can mid summer and then feed them to build up for the winter. With bees you need to plan at least two months ahead. Welcome to the club.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Wow, had a problem with the doctor for a scirpt for an epipen.

My doctor was more than happy to give me a script for a 2 pack epipen. He also told me about how important it was that I got rid of them after the expeiration date. He told me the story of a local teenager who died from a peanut allergy after he had hit himself with and epipen. The epipen was outdated.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
So who was the brave camera man?

I read somewhere that there is about 3,500 bees/pound with a 3# pacakge which I assume is what you got, that is about 10,500 bees and a good package company will shake some extra in there to compensate for what die in transist.

I got one question though. Whats with the zip lock bags of water in the colony? I haven't heard of that before and if I have I forgot about it. It worries me a little but it would also depend on where you are at. At this point of the season I wouldn't want that in my colonies, it gets way to cold at night still and with spring here, or starting to show up, there should be plenty of water for them to get at. But technique has a lot to do with location. My worries may be unfounded.

wolf_tracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007

Wolf and cat took turns with bees and camera ...
Wolf freed queen and shook bees.
Cat placed frames and put up bridge and other things.

The beginners class told us that since we have wax foundation and no comb, the bees need to build out the comb. We should put two 1/2 gallon FREEZER
bag ... and only FREEZER bags of 1-1 sugar water on the frames with 1/2 teaspoon of Fumugillin mixed in.

You cut a 1 inch hole where the airbubble in the
bag is for the bees to feed.

You want the bees to not spend time hunting
for nectar,water and pollen, but to work on building out the comb. In fact they pretty
much told us to leave the zip locks on most
of the summer. This is in place of a hive top
feeder. Our bee yard is only about 100 Feet away
from a county park pond, so they have lots of
water and in one of the parks known for its
abundance of flowers.

The local bee club in NorthernVA has a bee
wrangler that drives down to GA twice a
spring to get 450 packages each trip.

He helps shake the packages and they but in
about 3.5 lbs or about 13,000 bees.

Then he jumps into his truck and drives
like crazy to get the bees here. Most of them
have been in the packages less then 20 hours
when we, the ppl, get them.

We are told to hold the bees about 3 days to let
them get to know momma and then put into our
hives.

We checked on them yesterday. It was about
50 degrees with 40 mph wind. Saw three on the
landing pad. Very little activity.

Will check again on Saturday.

Wolf

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I didn't even think of feeding. I thought it was just water. Wish I could have attended a class when I started out. Would have saved a lot of headaches.

wolf_tracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
Hi everyone,

Went to see bees on Sun 4/29/07

Saw something weird. Called mentor to come
look. It was disorganized comb building...

She didnot seem to concerned. Said we would
watch how they build out the foundation over
the next month.

With her help we finally found the blue dotted
queen. Yes we have a queen.
We also have larva, sealed brood
also pollen and nectar being collected.

We should be getting a nuc in about 10 days
Queen was installed on friday.

That will give us two hives

And YES ... did not get stung this time
and used no smoke

She wants us to practice handling drones with
out gloves :tongue1:

So that we can feel the bees, that way next
year we can raise some queens and mark them

Practicing on the boys instead of the queens

Seems kind of prejudice to me ... :tongue3: practice on the boys ...not the girls ...

I know ... cheap drones ..expensive queens

Put on second hive body with foundation.

Pictures added on the above link for
anyone interested in looking at all
AND I MEAN ALL kinds of bees.

Wolf

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I would imagine she has you handling drones because they don't sting.
You plan on going into queen production?

wolf_tracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
Re: First Hive queens??

Kace,

about queens... our mentor wants us to know how
to do it.

she has already scheduled a bee club class
april 19 08 to have a queen instructor come in

she wants us to requeen in the fall of 08

Since we know so much :confused2:
about bees ... our hive has been up for
2 weeks now

we have no idea about raising queens ...
it might be intereing ... esp for breeder
queens

i hear they go for 1k each ... i could do
1K each for a single queen bee

why do i think 15 dollars is more like it

wolf

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Always keep an eye on you queens and how they are doing. Out of the three hives I started by packages last year one requeened itself after tossing two small swarms, one collapsed last August and was lost because of queen failure and only the third hive had a queen that lasted over a year. My fourth hive was requeened mid last summer and is still hanging in there. I've an extra queen coming in next week to start a nuc with so I will have a backup for late summer. The good news is that I checked the hives over the weekend and have over a full deep honey super on each hive so I'm looking at moving three or four 100 lb supers. Should get an easy 10-15 gallons of honey this time and the Florida season has just begun. ;D I plan to use the big 6 gallon primary buckets to store the honey in till I bottle.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns