Thread: too cool?

Default too cool?

Hi all. I live in a colder climate and, trying not to run up too much of an energy bill, try not to keep our heat turned up too high. I've noticed most yeast manufacturers recommend storing my carboys in a nice "cool" place of around 70 degrees. Unfortunately, the closet I'm using to store my fermenting mead and ale keeps a temperature of around 55-58 degrees F.

Will this cause any detrimental effects to my beverages besides just taking longer to complete their fermentation?

2. Default Re: too cool?

Quote Originally Posted by beninak
    Hi all. I live in a colder climate and, trying not to run up too much of an energy bill, try not to keep our heat turned up too high. I've noticed most yeast manufacturers recommend storing my carboys in a nice "cool" place of around 70 degrees. Unfortunately, the closet I'm using to store my fermenting mead and ale keeps a temperature of around 55-58 degrees F.

Will this cause any detrimental effects to my beverages besides just taking longer to complete their fermentation?
    Nu, that is so hard to say when the yeast strain isn't known. Some yeasts can ferment well at these temperatures, some slow down.

You must try a search for yeast strains, on a chart, and look for the temperature range. Then you will know!

A gezunt ahf dein shaychar dvash!

3. Default Re: too cool?

maybe you could try some altbier or some lagers?

Default Re: too cool?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Von Meader
    You must try a search for yeast strains, on a chart, and look for the temperature range. Then you will know!
    Here's a <a href="http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...=42">chart</a>, right here on GM!
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Von Meader

Nu, that is so hard to say when the yeast strain isn't known. Some yeasts can ferment well at these temperatures, some slow down.

A gezunt ahf dein shaychar dvash!

The 2 batches i have now are using Lalvin D-47 and 71B yeasts, both of which should be at 15C according to their site. 15c is about 59F, so if i have them sitting at 55F will that just slow down the process, or will it contribute some sort of off-flavors as well? I'm a patient man, but but have no tolerance for bad-tasting mead!

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems that off flavors are more prevalent when it is too warm rather than too cold. Stressed yeast is in general a bad thing, but cold would be the direction I'd choose if forced.

Fermentation will add a few degrees to the temperature, so hopefully once they get going the yeast will have a slightly warmer home. If you can wrap a warm blanket around your fermenter for an hour or so to get them kick-started, that would be good. If the temperature drop (to ambient) is slow, they shouldn't get shocked by the cold and stop working. But if they're going fine now, I'd leave them be.

If you make beer, 50F is a great temperature to ferment a lager. You can use lager yeast for low alcohol meads (<10% ABV) and ciders as well; they work well at these temperatures.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

Quote Originally Posted by AKueck

If you make beer, 50F is a great temperature to ferment a lager. You can use lager yeast for low alcohol meads (<10% ABV) and ciders as well; they work well at these temperatures.
    Wow, thanks! I've never thought about making a lagered mead before. Still being a newbee, will lager yeast affect the flavor profile of a mead or cider? I imagine it might give it a smoother taste, but i dont know...