• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

PATRONS CHAT SESSION - Mixing up your must

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey folks,

My work schedule just became about half as pervaisive as it used to be, so I have some time to jump back on the forums and chat with ya'll.

I think it would be great to talk about mixing up your musts, and deciding on gravity, nutrient, pitch temperature, water adjustments, fermentation vessels and the initial ferment up to the end of the lag phase.

Be there or be rectangu-LAIR!

Oskaar

Time: Monday June 4th, 6 PM PDT/9 PM EDT
Place: Gotmead chatroom in [size=14pt]here
http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_ajaxchat&Itemid=86[/size]

Also, please use this thread to post up your thoughts on subjects for future chat sessions! The more input we get the more sessions we can hold, and we can get special guest mead makers as well, as we already have some great ones signed up.

Sander

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 30, 2005
Sounds like fun. However, I think it's 3 AM in my timezone :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

MtnBrewer

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2006
Oskaar said:
Also, please use this thread to post up your thoughts on subjects for future chat sessions!
I'd like to have a chat for discussing optimization of SNA schedules for the yeast and honey being used. Oskaar, you use a bewildering array of SNA schedules. Each one seems custom-designed depending on the yeast nutrient requirements and the honey. I'd like to get inside your head a bit and find out what factors you consider when creating your SNA schedules.

Meanwhile, looking forward to next Monday's chat!

ps, Here in the Western Hemisphere, next Monday is June 4. Not sure what day that is in Middle Earth.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
MtnBrewer said:
Oskaar said:
Also, please use this thread to post up your thoughts on subjects for future chat sessions!
I'd like to have a chat for discussing optimization of SNA schedules for the yeast and honey being used. Oskaar, you use a bewildering array of SNA schedules. Each one seems custom-designed depending on the yeast nutrient requirements and the honey. I'd like to get inside your head a bit and find out what factors you consider when creating your SNA schedules.

Meanwhile, looking forward to next Monday's chat!

ps, Here in the Western Hemisphere, next Monday is June 4. Not sure what day that is in Middle Earth.

LOL, Date has been "Westernized" in the original post!

My "bewildering array" of nutrient dosing is based on my experience with each of the yeasts, the honeys used, and my conversations with the folks at Lallemand, Scott Laboratories and the ICV. Each yeast is different in it's nutrient needs, and each honey is also different in needs when coupled with certain yeast. So we can do that one next time, or this time if time permits.

Cheers,

Oskaar

MtnBrewer

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2006
Oskaar said:
My "bewildering array" of nutrient dosing is based on my experience with each of the yeasts, the honeys used, and my conversations with the folks at Lallemand, Scott Laboratories and the ICV. Each yeast is different in it's nutrient needs, and each honey is also different in needs when coupled with certain yeast. So we can do that one next time, or this time if time permits.
I assumed as much. It would be nice to learn from you some of what experience and the ICV have taught you if you're willing.

I can see it being a pretty deep conversation but maybe not. If you feel we'll have time this time around, we can get into it. If not, the next one is fine. Your call.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Bummer! I can't get into the chat session. I keep getting the "reserved for patrons" message despite everything I've tried to clear any history and login. I've tried with both Firefox and Netscape, and I've tried both from work (running Norton firewall/antivirus products) and here at home (with ZoneAlarm) so I don't think it is anything unique to my firewall or to my settings. Grr! :angryfire:

Well, I guess this is something for Oskaar and Vicky to troubleshoot later. Vicky tried to figure it out earlier in the day with me -- to no avail. Well, y'all have a good chat session, but somebody save the chat thread if possible and email it to me or post it in an archive somewhere. I bet you're talking about things I'd really find interesting!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Unload any pop up blockers, jscript blockers, and any spyware/rootsweepers that you might have running as well.

Oskaar

PS, check your running services, and the taskmaster as well. Sometimes stuff is running background and you never know it. Also try running IE and see if you have the same problem. I run IE and Firefox

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns