Thread: Potassium Sorbate

1. Default Potassium Sorbate

So here’s what I was thinking. Since potassium sorbate prevents the current yeast from reproducing without killing them, I should be able to stabilize before bottle priming right? Just stabilize with PS, add the appropriate amount of honey and/or sugar, then bottle and let the existing yeast do their thing right?

Thanks,
    evenstill
    Brewer Since 2005.

2. Default Re: Potassium Sorbate

I'm not really sure what you mean by "Stabilize" If you have active yeast and sugar in that bottle they are going to do their thing if it has P.S. in it or not. You can still get bottle bombs because there is nothing to stop them from fermenting to dry. Sure they will not bud and reproduce but that will not stop them fermenting until they starve or die.

What is your goal by doing this?? Are you trying to get carbonated sweet mead?? If so this is not the way. Maybe if you let the mead bottle ferment with the P.S. in it then chilled them down to almost freezing for some time in order to make the yeast go dormant. Maybe at that point the P.S. will be enough to keep them from becoming active again but I do not know that for a fact.

Cheers!!
    Matt