• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

hi

Barrel Char Wood Products

mofiki

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2007
hi there i think i posted my intro in the wrong place, so ill post it here.

hi
my name is jeff
im deployed at the moment with the airforce, i will be headed back to south dakota sometime at the end of the month.
should be making my first batch of jao when i get back. i plan on ordering the kit with the glass carboys on the what i need to get started post.

well i will keep you guys posted on my first batch when I get back

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Hi Jeff.. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :icon_salut:

I did my deployment(s) already and am finally on my way home. I was over here once as a soldier (Nat'l Guard) and this last time as a civ contractor. It sucks, but this too shall pass in time.

Until you can get home I'll just leave you with this thought to ponder over...

Water bottle, honey, jam packets from the DFAC, shake to mix and aerate, then put a rubber over the top to keep the air out and give it a few weeks for the natural yeasties in the area to do their magic. Been there, done that, drank the results... Just store it out of sight and don't get caught. ;)

If you get a chance, order a copy of "The Compleat Meadmaker" by Kem Schramm on Amazon and have it sent to you. Believe me, it's interesting reading and it'll keep you going while you're waiting to get home to start your JAO. I've got one waiting for me right now. My wife started it for me a few months ago and we're going to share it together when I get there.

There's a LOT to read on this site as far as good advice and/or info goes. If you can't find it with the search tool someone will almost always be able to help you out. Just start out with the Newbies guide and go from there.

:cheers:
Sandman

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Keep your head down and your sh!t wired tight. Come back in one piece.

Oskaar

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
as usual, oskaar has some good advice to offer lol.... good luck over there. get back safe.

mofiki

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2007
well last time i was here we had access to anything we needed, this time arround they arent that kind. but ill be home soon enough

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Thanks for your service and welcome to the board. If you're a pheasant hunter (AF + SD - seems like a decent possibility) I hope you have a great season this year. You and Sandman should PM me when you get a chance.

Ken

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Oskaar <--- Head popping up, nose twitching! Uh, did someone say pheasant....as in upland game bird hunting??

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
I spent some time at Virginia, Ironhorse, Speicher, Anaconda, Wolf, BIAP, Victory, and Navistar over the last two times I was there (mostly Speicher and Navistar). This last trip (17 months) was as a civilian contractor. (I retired from the Guard in '05) :icon_salut:

Things changed drastically from my first deployment to my second. Some things were better and some things were worse. I don't regret anything about my deployments except for the time it took me away from my family. I think it was harder on them than it was on me both times. Being there, we know what's going on around us most of the time. Ourt families are completely dependant on IM messaging and on the Media for their information. (...and we sure know how accurately the Media reports on things ovver there.)

Keep your gear prepped to jump at anytime, watch your six, get to brewing as soon as you get home, and all will be well. This hobby will totally hook you if you let it. My copy of the "Compleat Meadmaker" went through so many hands while I was there this time I just left it to keep being passed around and picked up another copy for myself when I got home this past Monday.

In the meantime, thank you for your service and keep the faith brother. All will be well in the end...
:cheers:
Sandman
SSG (Retired)

:: Hi Ken, I sent you a PM. Life is good dude. Next time I'm visiting my relatives up there in MI I'll make sure to let you know so we can get together.::

mofiki

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2007
thanks guys
should be home sometime this weekend if all goes according to plan,
this is actually my seccond deployment to qatar ( if you want to call it that) and lets hope its the last. we will see how the jao turns out as i plan on making a few batches, my wife has been geting apple juice, like crazy the past 2 months. so we will see how it turns out

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Ahh, ok... Qatar. Well, in that case, be careful driving in thier traffic, don't look directly at their women, and don't get lost in that big mall with the ice skating arena in it. I did. LOL

Also, the arab restaurant at teh food court has a killer lamb kabab and spicy sauce. :tongue3:

Kube

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2006
Hello Mofiki, I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you were at ellsworth. I just moved to rapid city and am looking for other mead makers to compare notes and maybe batches with.

goodvibes

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2007
How's it going Jeff? Welcome to GOTMEAD?. My hat's of to you for your service. Hang in there.
I'm currently serving at USPACOM in Pearl Harbor, HI. I know those deployments crawl by slowly, but you'll be back soon.
Drink mead and be merry! ~Neil

mofiki

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2007
yep im up here in ellsworth, unfortunatly I will be heading back to qatar some time in the next 3 months.
my first few batches of jao went off without a hitch, even awaped out the oranges for other fruit, it truly is a great recipe.

Kube

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2006
Well I am sorry to hear that you're leaving but I do want to thank you for what you are doing for al of us. I have made a couple batches of jao and one of a basic show mead which is gone. I will have to thank joe though, the women love his recipe.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Kube!

Welcome back, glad to see you're making mead! Hope all is swell and life is good!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Kube

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2006
Yeah, I haven't been on much lately because I had to move from California to South Dakota and things have been a bit crazy but I'll be here alot more often now.

mofiki

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2007
shoot me an email if you want to get togeather and swap a bottle. not much planned this weekend, except mabe the mini but ill be arround all weekend.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns