Thread: ***CRITICAL*****: GOTMEAD WILL BE DOWN SUNDAY JULY 15: MAINTENANCE

Default ***CRITICAL*****: GOTMEAD WILL BE DOWN SUNDAY JULY 15: MAINTENANCE

Hi gang,

You may have noticed that GM has been down a couple times in the last few weeks. This is because the host that we use is apparently not ready to handle a large, heavy traffic site like Gotmead. So, in order to keep them from shutting us down for excessive resource usage again, I will be making an emergency site change to a new host.

***************************CRITICAL*************** *******************

THE SITE WILL BE OFFLINE SUNDAY MORNING UNTIL LATE SUNDAY, JULY 15, 2007. WE WILL BE MOVING TO A NEW SERVER, AND DURING THIS TIME, GOTMEAD WILL BE UNAVAILABLE.

IF YOU ARE A PATRON, AND HAVE EMAIL STORED IN YOUR @GOTMEAD.COM EMAIL, YOU MUST DOWNLOAD IT TO YOUR LOCAL COMPUTER IF YOU WISH TO SAVE YOUR MAIL. OTHERWISE IT WILL BE LOST WHEN WE MOVE.

I am sorry for this inconvenience, but it is necessary to avoid the site being shut down again by current host. We will be moving to a host that specialized in high-traffic and database-driven sites.

Thanks!!!
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Default Re: ***CRITICAL*****: GOTMEAD WILL BE DOWN SUNDAY JULY 15: MAINTENANCE

Hey, Vicky! Good Luck -- server moves are no fun, especially when they're made under duress. Too bad they didn't let you know in advance that they couldn't support the traffic - they could've at least posted an excessive traffic notice when we tried to access the site instead of putting up the generic "Forbidden Access" msg!

Anyway, does the "email will be lost upon move" apply to any saved Inbox PM's that we might have, or only to emails?
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Email losses refers only to @gotmead.com emails. All PMs, and other things already in the forum will be saved.
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

4. Default Re: ***CRITICAL*****: GOTMEAD WILL BE DOWN SUNDAY JULY 15: MAINTENANCE

The move to the new server seems to have been successful. Well done! So far I haven't noticed any problems and also page loads seem to be much snappier.

Page load averages are MUCH quicker than the old host.

Hip Hip Hurrah!

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Yeah, now I just have to figure out why Patron home pages won't load, and searches return errors. Working on it.......
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

7. Default Re: ***CRITICAL*****: GOTMEAD WILL BE DOWN SUNDAY JULY 15: MAINTENANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Oskaar
    Page load averages are MUCH quicker than the old host.

Hip Hip Hurrah!

Cheers,

Oskaar
    yep really improved.

another thing that might help, but i dont know if that might be a case here since i cant see wether the guests are in fact spider bots.
    On my own community i had to cut down the Yahoo slurp spider from crawling my site. it had about 300+ instances of the bot crawling it simultaneously.

a simmple addition to the robot.txt reduced the number from 300+ to approx 25, and really improved the performance.

Code:
    User-agent: Slurp
    Crawl-delay: 60

Yup, already done. They at one time had a couple of hundred connections so we throttled them back to 50 or 60 if I remember right.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?