• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

12 lbs Honey vs. 15 lbs

Barrel Char Wood Products

DaysOfOld

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
The beauty of both.

The lighter one on the left was made with 12 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey. The darker one on the right contains 15 lbs of the same honey. The color difference is amazing, although the left hand one had been fermenting for 1 week prior to this photo and the darker must was prepared the same day as the photo. Both are just honey, water and yeast. Berries will be added to the right hand one after the first racking.

must2jul92007jx3.jpg

teljkon

Banned
May 28, 2007
:help: Ive been looking all over for good stick on thermometers like that where did you get yours
:happy10:

ablennert

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2007
I haven't done much comparison, but I've seen stick-on thermometers at big pet stores in the tropical fish sections. As touchy as tropical fish are, you'd think they have to work well.

teljkon

Banned
May 28, 2007
they do they just dont go as as low as you need for me they bottom out at 65*

teljkon

Banned
May 28, 2007
I need them for lagering you get below 65* for that and right know theres not a proper temp control on my fermenter AKA the fridge so its bellow 65. I know this as I have stuck a fish tank thermometer on there. I shure would like to know how low it is. ???

DaysOfOld

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
The thermometer I listed goes as low as 36 degrees. Yeah they are nice for lagers. Thought right now im using them for my mead which i keep around 70-72 degrees.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
By the way (on topic) Cool to display the actual deference in color between the two--I recently remade a OB mead trad recipe with 15 (instead of 12 as I did the first time) and was surprised by the shade myself.

Great to see experiments side by side, one of the best educational tools in my opinion.

~Wolfie

DaysOfOld

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
Added 12 lbs. of blueberries to the first mead. Looking great. Not sure how long to let the berries sit in there though. I will taste it tonight.

blueberry004ou6.jpg

Lost Knight

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 20, 2007
Marks.iwarp.com
Any overflow after adding the berries? I can't seem to get it just right where the berries will stay in the caboy and have to end up splitting the batch until I squeeze the berries out.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lost Knight said:
Any overflow after adding the berries? I can't seem to get it just right where the berries will stay in the caboy and have to end up splitting the batch until I squeeze the berries out.
That's another reason why after trying fruit in the secondary for a while, I just went back to fruits in primary only. I might from time to time drop a quart of fresh berries into secondary for color and tannin extraction, but no more than that. My wife still reminds me about the "strawberry volcano" that I had going in the basement a while back.... :laughing7:

DaysOfOld

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
I need to pick up anothyer carboy because I couldnt move all the mead to the secondary since the berries took up so much room. I didnt have another carboy to split the batch so some went to waste =/ I mourned for 7 days.

No spill over though. I was watching it carefully but it did get close.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
DaysOfOld said:
I didnt have another carboy to split the batch so some went to waste.

Tragedy! When I have more Must or Mead than my secondary can handle, I always have a sanitized gallon jug next to the Secondary carboy to take any extra during racking. This extra can be used to top up the secondary during subsequent rackings, particularly when losing some racking off fruit. Airlock the jug and keep it in the fridge to reduce the chances of spoilage.

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns