View Poll Results: If you could no longer produce any libation at home would you leave the country.

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 31.58%
  • No

13 68.42%

Thread: No more mead making

Default No more mead making

In another post I was joking about aging mead being a crime yada yada. I proposed leaving the country in response to other members post then it hit me. I actually do plan to leave but more to satisfy my pioneering spirit & get away from government corruption than any other reason. So what’s more important to you Libation or Country?

Default No more Mead Making

Even with some boneheaded law restricting private citizens from making their own beer, mead, wine, cider, etc., I'll still produce whatever the hell I want in the privacy of my own home. If our Government completely loses their mind and manages to pass such a law I'd love to see them try to enforce it. Bottom line, I'll defend my Constitutional Rights to be secure in my home against unreasonable search and seizure to the death.

I'm also going to take a step off the boat and say that I'm not enamoured with the term "mazing" for mead making. A mazer is a cup, we don't call winemakers wine glasses, and I don't want to be called a mazer. It just sounds wrong. So I'll be happy with being referred to as a mead maker and not a mead cup (mazer). When I make mead I call it "making mead." I've used the term mazing and even supported it in the past, but it never really sat right with me so I'll come out and say that I'm not going to use the term mazer, mazing or any other "maze" contractions to describe making mead going forward. I'm proud to be a Mead and Wine maker as well as being a Brewer.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Default Re: No more mazing

I agree with Oskaar. I won't leave, but there's no way in hell that I'll stop doing what I do in my own home. We have fundamental freedoms of action spelled out in our Constitution, and personal freedom is a founding principle in the USA. I'll defend my rights to be free to do what I want (of course as long as those actions don't harm anyone else), using any and all means available.

Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

I agree with Oskaar about the word ‘Mazer’ I always emagined that some thought it’s root word was ‘maze’ and that is why they were confused.

Having lived in other parts of the world, I can assure you if you are the type that has trouble with running against the ‘establishment’ you will have that problem where ever you go. If you wish to travel for the pioneering spirit of the thing you will have a great time. If you expect to get away from government corruption you will be sorely disappointed. One of the last locations I lived in there was no corruption or overbearing government, as long as I remembered to tithe to the local police a percentage of my homebrew, and remembered to send the judge’s wife a box of truffles for her birthday and Christmas. You never bribe anyone, you just share your good fortune with them whenever you can as a form of sympathetic magic to help insure good success at your future endeavors.

America, it’s not love it or leave it, but change it or lose it.

Cheers
    Jay

So what’s more important to you Libation or Country?
    And you cant find honey in another country?

There is libation in every nation my friend.
    Go On, Take The Honey and Run

Hmm. I would consider my freedom overall before I would consider how old I have to be to drink/make/or otherwise indulge in a libation.

And, I'll agree with Oskaar and take it one step further: it's only illegal if you get caught. So long as I feel good with my karma and don't harm anyone, what's the big deal? I'm sure that there are plenty of mead makers (not mazers) here that indulge in other indulgences, legal or illegal. Does that stop them?

We do what we do. I'm sorry that you feel that repressed. Be sure to write if you find work!
    Wild In Idaho
    Mead, like life, is a journey and not a destination. So stop and savor the flavors along the way!

"Gawd, I hate drinking mead and posting in the forums."

Nothing currently fermenting!

Default Re: No more mead making

Im realistic about what ill find in other countries and by no means do I think there is a country that’s a great bastion of political sanctity where the politics will be perfect. But the question is the question and it stands would you rather have this country or the right to make mead legaly.

Quote Originally Posted by wildaho
    We do what we do. I'm sorry that you feel that repressed. Be sure to write if you find work!

As far as that goes I do not feel repressed I feel robed. I do feel betrayed by the promises I received & the pride I felt in my country as a childe to feel how I feel know looking at the USA. As well as incredibly disappointed at peoples lack of caring for it.

I was very much the same at one time, I did what I did. Then I realized I had a god given right to do what I did and not have to hide it.

As far as the work thing goes I have work so I don’t know what your talking about. And since you all feel that strongly about it I will change mazer to mead maker for know. Though I purpose Meader as an alternative expression, for the act of being a Mead maker.

Wait a minute?

Sorry to be out of the loop, but I have worked a lot, and live up here in Canada, the U.S. government is trying to band home brewing? Is that what I understand? That horrible idea? Pfft you think you would learn, look what happened during the prohibition, it didn't stop it, just slowed it for a while. And like oskaar said, How are they going to search your home! NO way in hell someone is going to tell me I can't brew!

I'm with YoungMeadMan here, totally confused. I know homebrewing is alive and very well here in the US and Canada, and haven't heard about movements to ban it anywhere else. Do you you live in Russia? I hear the government there is really stepping up its "regulation" of alchoholic drinks there, but don't know about homebrew specifically. Besides, like others have said, even if a law were passed there would be no home inspections for verification, it just might put a damper on the homebrew clubs and competitions.

Anyways you sound like you need to pack up and move to Alaska, the closest thing to a libertarian state that we have in the US, where I can guarantee homebrewing will never be outlawed. Hell, marijuana possesion is even still legal here.

My Social Networking

Add sandman on Facebook

Unless there's some reference to an actual article, law, or new bunch of loonies trying to force "what's best for us" down our throats I was unaware of, this thread is entirely speculative. It's just looking for an opinion or a debate point.

As far as the gov't ever trying to stop us from homebrewing goes, it didn't stop me in the middle east where it's actually illegal (if you get caught), so why would it stop me here?

11. Default Re: No more mead making

i'll leave.. but not because i am restricted because i am not, but i intent to leave yes, to france or spain.. soon

12. Default Re: No more mead making

i think ill have to agree somewhat with a few of yalls opinions. i dont think the issue for me is wether or not brewing/meadmaking/winemaking is legal, but wether or not the government is allowed to come into my home to check and see what im doing inside it. as long as you aren't putting a sign up on your door or posting videos on you tube about whatever it is that you do, you can do whatever you want to inside your own home because the government is in no way allowed to come inside.

rant:
    i got into it with a sherriff pretty bad a few weeks ago because he barged into my apartment and started searching around. i was yelling at him and what not, pretty stupid idea, but i was pissed that he was inside my private residence without having fulfilled the requirements to do so. he found my booze, asked about it, i told him to fuck off, i was drinking, he asked how old i was, i told him to fuck off, we all yelled a little more then he left. he knew he was wrong, or he would have arrested me. a few friends of mine and i got into an argument about it, their argument was "well your underage, its your fault for drinking and making booze when your not old enough" my argument was fuck off, ill do whatever i want to do in my own house. they have no right to be inside my house gathering evidence in the first place. i think its more important for police to have to obey search and seizure laws, than it is for them to be able to arrest anyone for doing anything in their own private space. if they can barge in and arrest me for doing whatever, then they can barge into any other house whenever they want to also.

Quote Originally Posted by ucflumberjack
    i think ill have to agree somewhat with a few of yalls opinions. i dont think the issue for me is wether or not brewing/meadmaking/winemaking is legal, but wether or not the government is allowed to come into my home to check and see what im doing inside it. as long as you aren't putting a sign up on your door or posting videos on you tube about whatever it is that you do, you can do whatever you want to inside your own home because the government is in no way allowed to come inside.

rant:
    i got into it with a sherriff pretty bad a few weeks ago because he barged into my apartment and started searching around. i was yelling at him and what not, pretty stupid idea, but i was pissed that he was inside my private residence without having fulfilled the requirements to do so. he found my booze, asked about it, i told him to fuck off, i was drinking, he asked how old i was, i told him to fuck off, we all yelled a little more then he left. he knew he was wrong, or he would have arrested me. a few friends of mine and i got into an argument about it, their argument was "well your underage, its your fault for drinking and making booze when your not old enough" my argument was fuck off, ill do whatever i want to do in my own house. they have no right to be inside my house gathering evidence in the first place. i think its more important for police to have to obey search and seizure laws, than it is for them to be able to arrest anyone for doing anything in their own private space. if they can barge in and arrest me for doing whatever, then they can barge into any other house whenever they want to also.

Amen brother!

I know here in Canada, if a cop was to knock on the door and see something illegal going on in the house hold if you don't invite him in and the cop doesn't have a warrant, then he/she can't do anything about it (of course murder etc would be an exception)

But I agree what happens in the home, is the house holds' business! It's your home. Excluding murder of course. And when it comes to drinking, cops really won't do anything if it is in the home. Thats how all the high school kids drink. The cops can't control what happens in the home, they can't check every square inch of the home. Look at history, people have hid a lot more then fermenting booze in their homes without the cops knowing, even after searching.

YoungMeadman

P.S.
    ucflumberjack if you were in Canada, you'd be fine. The drinking age here in Saskatchewan is 19, and 18 in the provinces beside us.

Well, as I mentioned below we're guaranteed under the US Constitution to be secure in our home without being subjected to unreasonable search and seizure. Bottom line is if the law shows up without a warrant, they don't get in. Period, unless they decide to break the law themselves. That's what home surveillance video systems are for.

We're protected under the constitution from high-handed law enforcement. However, in many instances law enforcement has been emboldened by years of cowed citizens capitulating to unreasonable search and seizure due to fear of bogus prosecution which very often follows anyway. My position is that as a citizen I am the only one that can assert my constitutional rights, and I do so vigorously and timely in the event that I feel my rights are being violated. I've suffered for that on more than one occaison, but have had the last laugh in court whenever it's happened.

Bottom line is, if you don't assert your constitutional rights, no one will do it for you.

A little civil disobedience is a good thing.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

15. Default Re: No more mead making

If they just banned making alcohol at home I wouldnt leave. However I think it would be an indicator to more important matters. If they start restricting what can be done in the home I would assume other restrictions to liberties would follow. I would have to see what the total effects and what the population was doing in general in response to it before I decided to leave or not.

To make it clear there is no new law about not being able to ferment it's a "IF" question. This really just came from the though that I had about if they made it a crime. I immediately decided it would hasten my exit from the red, white, and blue but I was planning on leaving any ways! I wondered how others felt.