• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New to the site, and to mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

mtbikernate

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2007
Howdy, folks. I thought I'd post a note here introducing myself.

A couple years ago, I was introduced to a wonderful blackberry mead that my friend's father produced for her wedding. It was used in the toast, and small bottles were handed out as party favors. Truly delicious, and he was excited to describe to me how it took him 3 years to perfect the recipe and produce enough for the festivities. Since then, I've been interested to try making it myself.

Today, at the Pittsburgh Ren fest, a merchant was selling supplies for making mead. He specialized in honeys produced locally, and had a cyser on hand for sampling. That sealed it! I bought an airlock, siphon hose, sterilizer tablets, yeast, and yeast starter along with a couple lbs of a mild local honey. I don't have any of the other necessary supplies yet, but I've spent the past few hours doing some reading (I'll have to let this info digest before I dive in again...this is all new to me). I do have my neighbor (who is a restaurant consultant) looking into tracking down some cheap or free 1 gallon carboys for me. I do have a large enamel pot already (that I have used for making large batches of chili or pasta sauce, or for boiling whole chickens). I may, however, just buy one of those huge stainless turkey fryer pots to use specifically for mead.

Now, I'm trying also to decide on a recipe to use for my first batch. I've read a bit about the Joe's Ancient Orange recipe, which looks tasty...but it's not easy to get excellent quality oranges here, so I'm leery. I do, however, have access to absolutely excellent supplies of apples and apple cider grown and produced locally, so I'm considering something using apples, instead. There's a local winery that uses apples from this particular orchard in their wines, which are also delicious. Would it be better to use cored, peeled, and mashed apples or to use the cider produced from said apples? I was told today that the cyser I tasted used apples themselves, but I've seen suggestions posted here that using juice or cider imparts more apple flavor. I'm unsure which to try. So many options for a beginner!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Welcome to Got Mead?

Use juice, the apple thing is not going to give you any more apple flavor, and it will complicate the racking from primary to secondary.

Please post up what exactly you have as far as equipment and ingredients in tabular format, e.g.

10 lbs Orange blossom honey
6 grams D47 yeast
10 gallon stainless steel brew kettle

etc.

That helps us look at what you've got and how we may help you put together a respectable mead.

Cheers and welcome,

Oskaar

mtbikernate

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2007
2lbs Penna Mountain Honey (Mt. Berry variety)
5g D47 yeast
~5g yeast nutrient (not sure what type)
3 Campden tablets
1 siphon hose
1 airlock & size 6 1/2 stopper
11.25L enamel stock pot (just something I already had in the house)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns