Thread: Adding acid (lime peels, ect..) and is it necessary?

1. Default Adding acid (lime peels, ect..) and is it necessary?

I just started a brewlog of my latest batch (experiment actually), which I might add strawberries in the 2nd fermentation stage..
    http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...2&topic=5814.0
    However, I forgot to add any kind of acid. Would it hurt the fermentation process if there is no acid such as lime peels, or citris juice?

here is the recipe:
    4lb cheap clover honey
    fill to 1gallon water
    1tsp fermaid nutrient
    lalvin 1116

... big DOH if you think I should add some citris. bigger DOH if it is too late to do so.. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

Brandon

2. Default Re: Adding acid (lime peels, ect..) and is it necessary?

You have two concerns.
    1: If you add in fruit peel or juice you are going to add in that fruits flavor to the mead. You will have to decide if you want that or not.
    2: They make straight acid poweder that you can add in. Its not needed its a preference on if you want it acidic or not.

Katphish Gotmead Visitor

Default Re: Adding acid (lime peels, ect..) and is it necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by bjswift
    I just started a brewlog of my latest batch (experiment actually), which I might add strawberries in the 2nd fermentation stage..
    http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...2&topic=5814.0
    However, I forgot to add any kind of acid. Would it hurt the fermentation process if there is no acid such as lime peels, or citris juice?

here is the recipe:
    4lb cheap clover honey
    fill to 1gallon water
    1tsp fermaid nutrient
    lalvin 1116

... big DOH if you think I should add some citris. bigger DOH if it is too late to do so.. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

Brandon
    Read Ken Schramms' Book, "The Complete Meadmaker", you can add acid later, better you add Cream of Tartar, and some energizer, Strawberrys love it.