Thread: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

1. Default Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

Ok, I have a few batches, all started over two months ago, then I have a 1gallon batch of JAO which is clearing only into a month after being started. Why does this clear up so quickly? I know the recipe says it will be ready within 2 months and maybe a few days, but I am worried that my other meads are not clearing, but know in the back of my head I just need to keep waiting...

Come to think of it, I have a cinnful cyser which is clearing up faster than the batches started before it. I just hope my other two batches start to clear some day.

2. Default Re: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

Bentonite works great for me for clearing.

3. Default Re: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

Are there any side effects to using bentonite? Will patience and time add up to a clear mead?
    I am interested in using a substance to help clear the mead, but shy away because I want my first few batches to be as basic as you can get, to use as a basis for future meads.

4. Default Re: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

I'm also curious to know which part or combination of parts in JAO make it clear so fast.
    The orange rinds ? grapes ? cinnamon ? use of bread yeasties ?

Default Re: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

Quote Originally Posted by ehanuise
    I'm also curious to know which part or combination of parts in JAO make it clear so fast.
    The orange rinds ? grapes ? cinnamon ? use of bread yeasties ?
    I don't have any data to support it, but my hunch is that bread yeast drops out of suspension more quickly than wine yeast. Also, when you look at raisins and sliced oranges, there is not as much particulate to be in suspension as there would be if you were using crushed fruit/puree/juice.

6. Default Re: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

I wouldnt worry. The only time you should be concerned is when its not clear as you want and the yeast hasnt settled by the time you go to bottle. If you bottle at 6 months it doesnt really matter if it take 1 month or 4. The end result is the same. As long as there is noticeable progress being made you will be fine.

Yeast will have have different rates and which they will settle down to the bottom. Off hand I have to agree with Pewter. I havent heard of any chemical reasons like fruit acids, pectins or other ingrediants effecting this.

7. Default Re: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

I seem to remember reading that tannins help clear a mead, and that the raisins in JAO add tannins. Might this be a possible reason? Just a guess, and I could be way off.

Default Re: Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

My UFO mead (with kumquats) was clearing inside a week, if I recall. My guess is it's something in the citrus (oils maybe?) that helps with the clearing.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.